Difficult inductance + torque rolling rail problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to solve a physics problem involving a cylindrical conductor moving through a magnetic field. The equations F = I\vec{l} \times \vec{B} and \varepsilon = BLv are mentioned, and the person expresses concerns about the answers resulting in infinity. There is also a mention of having a current from the battery versus a current induced, and the idea that the cylinder will stop accelerating when the induced emf cancels the applied emf.
oreosama

Homework Statement

ykL6cA1.png

Homework Equations

[tex]F = I\vec{l} \times \vec{B}[/tex]
[tex]\varepsilon = BLv[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Every direction i go seems real wrong

[tex]F = I\vec{l} \times \vec{B}[/tex]

[tex]F = \frac{\varepsilon \vec{l} \times \vec{B}}{R}[/tex]
[tex]F = \frac{\varepsilon LB}{R}[/tex]
[tex]ma = \frac{VLB}{R}[/tex]
[tex]v = \frac{VLB}{mR}t[/tex]

while the math seems to all be good here, this implies like every answer after is going to be infinity which seems plain wrong.. I assume I should havea current from the battery versus a current induced and thus have two forces. but things get messy and I can never get a v just in terms of t when I mess with it in this direction. thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
oreosama said:
I assume I should havea current from the battery versus a current induced and thus have two forces.
Not quite. The motion of the cylinder through the field will induce a "back emf". I'm no expert in this area, but my guess is that the cylinder will cease to accelerate when the back emf equals and cancels the applied emf.

Related to Difficult inductance + torque rolling rail problem

What is inductance and why is it difficult to measure?

Inductance is the property of an electrical circuit that causes a voltage to be generated when there is a change in the current flowing through it. It is difficult to measure because it is not a direct physical quantity and is affected by factors such as the shape and size of the conductor.

What role does torque play in this rolling rail problem?

Torque is the twisting force that causes rotational motion. In this rolling rail problem, torque is important because it is responsible for the movement of the rail and the transfer of energy between the rail and the rolling object, such as a train or car.

What factors can affect the inductance and torque in this problem?

There are several factors that can affect the inductance and torque in this problem, including the size and shape of the conductor, the material of the conductor, the speed and direction of movement, and the presence of other nearby conductors or magnetic fields.

How can this difficult inductance + torque rolling rail problem be solved?

This problem can be solved by carefully analyzing the properties of the conductor and the surrounding environment, and using mathematical equations and physical principles to calculate and predict the behavior of the system. Advanced techniques such as computer simulations and experimental testing can also be used to find a solution.

What are the real-world applications of understanding and solving this problem?

Understanding and solving this difficult inductance + torque rolling rail problem has many real-world applications, such as in the design and maintenance of railway systems, electric motors, and other electrical devices that involve moving conductors and the generation of torque. It can also contribute to advancements in renewable energy technologies and electromagnetic propulsion systems.