Difference in phase convention for Wigner d-function

In summary, the conversation revolved around connecting the Condon-Shortley-Wigner to the Edmonds phase convention in order to write a program for computing Wigner-d matrix coefficients. The individual was confused about the sign in the equation and questioned if it was a typo or a different phase convention. It was concluded that Edmonds did have a typo and the correct equation does not include a (-1)**(j-m).
chafelix
I am looking for a way to connect the Condon-Shortley-Wigner to the Edmonds phase convention. Specifically I am writing a program to compute Wigner-d matrix coefficients

From tabulated values (e.g. even Wikipedia) d^1/2_{1/2,-1/2}=(-1)^{-1/2-1/2}d^1/2_{-1/2,1/2}=-sin(theta/2)

So d^1/2_{-1/2,1/2}=sin(theta/2)

But from Edmonds, eq. 4.1.27 with j=1/2,m=-1/2 this should have a - sign
e.g.
d^j_{mj}=(-1)^{j-m}[(2j)!/((j+m)!(j-m)!]^{1/2} [cos(theta/2)]^{j+m} [sin(theta/2)]^{j-m}

i.e. j=1/2, m=-1/2,j+m=0,j-m=1

- sqrt(1!/(0! 1!)) [cos(theta/2)]^0 [sin(theta/2)]^1, i.e. the sign is off

Is this an Edmonds typo or some different phase convention?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Yes, Edmonds has a typo. There should be no (-1)**(j-m) there.

Related to Difference in phase convention for Wigner d-function

What is the Wigner d-function?

The Wigner d-function is a mathematical function used in quantum mechanics to describe the rotational behaviour of particles.

What is the difference in phase convention for Wigner d-function?

The difference in phase convention for Wigner d-function refers to the choice of phase factor used in the formula for calculating the function. This can lead to different numerical values being obtained for the function.

Why is there a difference in phase convention for Wigner d-function?

The choice of phase convention is arbitrary and can vary depending on the needs of the specific application. Different conventions may be used to simplify calculations or to match experimental data.

How does the phase convention affect the Wigner d-function?

Depending on which convention is used, the values for the Wigner d-function may differ by a complex phase factor. This can affect the interpretation of the function and its applications in quantum mechanics.

What are some common phase conventions for Wigner d-function?

The two most commonly used phase conventions for Wigner d-function are the Condon-Shortley and Racah conventions. The Condon-Shortley convention is frequently used in quantum mechanics, while the Racah convention is commonly used in atomic and molecular physics.