Difference betweend Fizeau and Wedge Interferometry

In summary, the main difference between Fizeau and Wedge Interferometry is the type of optical element used. Wedge Interferometry is better for measuring surface roughness and Fizeau Interferometry is advantageous for measuring flat surfaces. The setup for Fizeau and Wedge Interferometry differs in the placement of the reference mirror, and both can be adapted for non-optical measurements.
faofao
Hey everybody,

I have a question concerning the difference (if any) of the Fizeau and Wedge Interferometry.

I am currently writing my thesis on a project which uses a glass wedge with air in between. This concept is fairly well discussed and background of this can be found in several textbooks and webpages.

However, I am trying to find some interesting papers, which use this type of method in a similar set-up. I have spoken with my professor and he mentioned the concept of Fizeau Interferometry. Yet isn't Fizeau Interferometry used to determin the flatness of optical plates, or is this term just used, because the fringes you get by an air wedge are similar to those obtained by Fizeau?

I really don't see connection between the two of them.

Maybe someone could enlighten me?

Many thanks,
faofao.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello faofao,

Thank you for your question. Fizeau Interferometry and Wedge Interferometry are indeed related, but they have different applications and uses. Fizeau Interferometry is primarily used for measuring the flatness of optical plates, as you mentioned. This technique involves splitting a light beam and reflecting it off two surfaces, creating interference patterns that can be used to determine the flatness of the surfaces.

Wedge Interferometry, on the other hand, is used for measuring the thickness or refractive index of transparent materials, such as your glass wedge with air in between. This technique also uses interference patterns, but in this case, the patterns are created by the interference of light waves that have passed through the material at different angles.

The reason your professor may have mentioned Fizeau Interferometry is because the interference patterns created by the air wedge are similar to those obtained by Fizeau Interferometry. However, the underlying principle and application are different.

In terms of finding papers that use Wedge Interferometry in a similar set-up to your project, I suggest searching for keywords such as "wedge interferometry" or "air wedge interferometry" combined with your specific application or material. This should help you find relevant research papers.

I hope this helps clarify the difference between Fizeau and Wedge Interferometry. Best of luck with your thesis project!

Related to Difference betweend Fizeau and Wedge Interferometry

1. What is the main difference between Fizeau and Wedge Interferometry?

The main difference between Fizeau and Wedge Interferometry is the type of optical element used. Fizeau Interferometry uses a flat reference mirror, while Wedge Interferometry uses a wedge-shaped reference mirror.

2. Which type of interferometry is better for measuring surface roughness?

Wedge Interferometry is generally better for measuring surface roughness as it provides higher sensitivity and resolution compared to Fizeau Interferometry.

3. What are the advantages of using Fizeau Interferometry?

Fizeau Interferometry is advantageous for measuring flat surfaces with high accuracy and precision. It is also relatively simple and cost-effective compared to other interferometric techniques.

4. How does the setup for Fizeau and Wedge Interferometry differ?

The setup for Fizeau and Wedge Interferometry differs in the placement of the reference mirror. In Fizeau Interferometry, the reference mirror is placed perpendicular to the optical path, while in Wedge Interferometry, the reference mirror is placed at an angle to the optical path.

5. Can Fizeau and Wedge Interferometry be used for non-optical measurements?

Yes, both Fizeau and Wedge Interferometry can be adapted for non-optical measurements by using alternative light sources, such as microwaves or ultrasonic waves.