DiffEQ, Snowing Rates, Distance Traveled

In summary: AM #### t_1 = 10AM #### t_2 = 12PM #### t_3 = 2PM #### t_4 = 4PM #### t_5 = 6PM ##t_0 = 8AMt_1 = 10AMt_2 = 12PMt_3 = 2PMt_4 = 4PMt_5 = 6PMIn summary, at 8AM, the plow had traveled 2 miles, and it was still snowing. It continued to snow until 6PM.
QuietMind

Homework Statement

Early one morning it starts to snow. At 7AM a snowplow sets off to clear the road. By 8AM, it has gone 2 miles. It takes an additional 2 hours for the plow to go another 2 miles. Let t = 0 when it begins to snow, let x denote the distance traveled by the plow at time t. Assuming the snowplow clears snow at a constant rate in cubic meters/hour:
a) Find the DE modeling the value of x.
b) When did it start snowing?

Homework Equations

N/A, but related course topics are for solving DiffEq's by separation of variables

The Attempt at a Solution

Modeling the plow as a rectangle with a certain length L, and assuming that the snow height H is across the length, and the plow speed is V, then "Assuming the snowplow clears snow at a constant rate in cubic meters/hour" can be expressed as
## LHv = C##
where c is some constant. H and V are both functions of time.
Simplify by combining constants (K= C/L) and dividing by H gives
##v= K/H##

re-expressing v as the time derivative of distance x yields

## \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{K}{H} ##
separation of variables yields
## dx= \frac{K*dt}{H}##

I want to integrate as I usually would in a separation of variable problem, but I can't figure out what to do with H (can it be modeled as a function of x?), or how to incorporate the initial conditions. I'm also confused about setting t= 0 when it starts to snow, because that seems like it would make it into a piecewise function. I can't tell if I'm missing any assumptions.

To answer part B, it seems like I would have to pretend the plow was already moving by 7am (as in pretend it was continuously moving beforehand, and had some certain speed at 7am to match the initial conditions), then look at what time the speed approaches infinity from the right.

Physics news on Phys.org
QuietMind said:

Homework Statement

Early one morning it starts to snow. At 7AM a snowplow sets off to clear the road. By 8AM, it has gone 2 miles. It takes an additional 2 hours for the plow to go another 2 miles. Let t = 0 when it begins to snow, let x denote the distance traveled by the plow at time t. Assuming the snowplow clears snow at a constant rate in cubic meters/hour:
a) Find the DE modeling the value of x.
b) When did it start snowing?

Homework Equations

N/A, but related course topics are for solving DiffEq's by separation of variables

The Attempt at a Solution

Modeling the plow as a rectangle with a certain length L, and assuming that the snow height H is across the length, and the plow speed is V, then "Assuming the snowplow clears snow at a constant rate in cubic meters/hour" can be expressed as
## LHv = C##
where c is some constant. H and V are both functions of time.
Simplify by combining constants (K= C/L) and dividing by H gives
##v= K/H##

re-expressing v as the time derivative of distance x yields

## \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{K}{H} ##
separation of variables yields
## dx= \frac{K*dt}{H}##

I want to integrate as I usually would in a separation of variable problem, but I can't figure out what to do with H (can it be modeled as a function of x?), or how to incorporate the initial conditions. I'm also confused about setting t= 0 when it starts to snow, because that seems like it would make it into a piecewise function. I can't tell if I'm missing any assumptions.
As they plow 2 miles in the first hour, and then next 2 miles in the next 2 hours, it is clear that it is still snowing.
You could assume that the amount of snow falling is constant over time (as nothing is said about that), so H=Ft (F some constant).
QuietMind said:
To answer part B, it seems like I would have to pretend the plow was already moving by 7am (as in pretend it was continuously moving beforehand, and had some certain speed at 7am to match the initial conditions), then look at what time the speed approaches infinity from the right.
The plow wasn't moving before 7am. It was snowing before 7am.

First solve a), that will give you x(t) with two unknown constants.
For b), if you set t=0 as the time it started to snow, then 7AM is some ##t_0## that you will have to determine using what you are told about what happens between 7AM and 8AM, and between 8AM and 10AM.

Last edited:
If H=ft, then I have missed a very critical assumption.
the answer to A should then be
## v =\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{K}{ft} = \frac{C}{t}##

where C is some other constant. This is a logarithm so the solution is:
## x(t) = C \ln(t) + D ##
D is another constant.Attempt at part B:
Start plugging in IC
## 0 = C\ln(t_0) + D ##
##2 = C\ln(t_0 + 1) + D##
##4 = C\ln(t_0+3) + D##

Subtracting the 1st from 2nd eqs:
##2 = C\ln(\frac{t_0 + 1}{t_0} )##

Subtracting 2nd from 3rd eqs:
##2 = C\ln(\frac{t_0+3}{t_0+1})##

which means the argument of ln in each must be the same fraction. Solving I get t_0 = 1
So it starts snowing at 6AM.

Does that look right? I was concerned about assuming that it snows at some constant rate.

Last edited:
QuietMind said:
If H=ft, then I have missed a very critical assumption.
the answer to A should then be
## v =\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{K}{ft} = \frac{C}{t}##

where C is some other constant. This is a logarithm so the solution is:
## x(t) = C \ln(t) + D ##
D is another constant.Attempt at part B:
Start plugging in IC
## 0 = C\ln(t_0) + D ##
##2 = C\ln(t_0 + 1) + D##
##4 = C\ln(t_0+3) + D##

Subtracting the 1st from 2nd eqs:
##2 = C\ln(\frac{t_0 + 1}{t_0} )##

Subtracting 2nd from 3rd eqs:
##2 = C\ln(\frac{t_0+3}{t_0+1})##

which means the argument of ln in each must be the same fraction. Solving I get t_0 = 1
So it starts snowing at 6AM.

Does that look right?
Yes, that is the same result I got.
QuietMind said:
I was concerned about assuming that it snows at some constant rate.
I understand. Problem is that you have to assume something about the rate of snow falling in order to solve the exercise. Constant rate seems the obvious choice.

Likes QuietMind

Related to DiffEQ, Snowing Rates, Distance Traveled

1. What is DiffEQ and how is it related to snowing rates?

DiffEQ, short for Differential Equations, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of relationships between rates of change and the variables that affect them. It is used to model and understand various phenomena in the natural world, such as snowing rates. By using DiffEQ, scientists can create equations that describe how snowing rates change over time, taking into account factors such as temperature, humidity, and wind speed.

2. Why is it important to study snowing rates?

Understanding snowing rates is crucial for various reasons. It helps us predict and prepare for severe weather conditions, such as blizzards, which can have a significant impact on transportation, agriculture, and infrastructure. Additionally, studying snowing rates can also provide valuable insights into climate change and its effects on the Earth's ecosystems.

3. How do scientists measure snowing rates?

There are several methods that scientists use to measure snowing rates. One common method is to use a snow gauge, which is a cylindrical container that collects and measures the amount of snowfall over a specific period. Another method is to use radar technology, which can measure the intensity and movement of snow clouds. Additionally, satellite imagery and ground-based sensors can also provide valuable data on snowing rates.

4. Can snowing rates affect the distance traveled by vehicles?

Yes, snowing rates can have a significant impact on the distance traveled by vehicles. Heavy snowfall can create hazardous driving conditions, making it challenging to travel long distances. Snow can also accumulate on roads, reducing traction and causing accidents. In extreme cases, blizzards can even lead to road closures and delays in transportation.

5. How can we use information about snowing rates to improve our daily lives?

By studying snowing rates, we can better prepare for and adapt to changing weather conditions. For example, knowing the average snowing rates in a region can help city planners design better snow removal and transportation systems. It can also aid farmers in choosing the right crops and planting schedules. Additionally, knowledge about snowing rates can help individuals make informed decisions about winter travel and outdoor activities.