Did a Higgs Boson trigger the big bang?

In summary: Michio Kaku (see link) says that the Higgs Boson is the reason for the Big Bang. This is a very recent statement and it is still up for debate. Some people believe that the Higgs Boson triggered the Big Bang, while others believe that the Big Bang originated from something else. I would not trust anything Kaku has said in the last 10 years, as he has become a popularizer of the worst sort. If you want to know more about this topic you should read an article about it on Physics Forums.
Space news on Phys.org
I wouldn't trust anything Kaku has said in the last 10 years. He used to be a serious physicists (and QUITE a good one) but lately as become a popularizer of the worst sort. The fact that he said it doesn't MAKE it wrong, but it sure makes it highly suspect.

I watched it myself, and it seems very mixed up.

We don't know what began our Universe. It was likely in some state with strong quantum gravity, and quantum gravity is just plain hard.

However, there was likely a particle much like the Higgs particle involved in the very early Universe: the inflaton (no i). It's called that because it makes the inflationary phase of the history of the Universe, a period of exponential expansion that flattened it out and that froze into place quantum fluctuations as they got stretched beyond the event-horizon size.

However, the mass scale of the inflaton is something around 1015 GeV, which is much bigger than the Higgs particle's mass scale.

It doesn't make sense to say something 'triggered' the big bang. The big bang was the hot and dense state the universe was in, and it's evolution from that state.

The Higgs Mechanism doesn't have anything to do with that. It's function is to break the electroweak symmetry.

As phinds said, I wouldn't trust too many of Kaku's popular science videos.

If you listen carefully, he's saying that it was a 'higgs-like particle', not the higgs itself. I can only speculate, but I think he's actually referring to the inflaton here, since it, like the Higgs, is a scalar particle. Most of the other stuff he says in that video is nigh incomprehensible to me though...

Yes, and note that the SM Higgs is recently in vogue again as an inflaton candidate as long as you mutilate the theory by introducing large scalar couplings, whacky kinetic terms, and the like.

Michio Kaku (see link) says that the Higgs Boson is the reason for the Big Bang.

In a very recent paper here provided by Chronos:

Emergent Gravity

Emergent perspective of Gravity and Dark Energy
T. Padmanabhan
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3984153#post3984153

The author states:

. Some unknown quantum gravitational instability triggers the universe to make a transition from the initial static state, to one of increasing Hubble distance ...

It would be rather amazing if the author missed such a definitive reason for the big bang!

Related to Did a Higgs Boson trigger the big bang?

1. What is a Higgs Boson?

The Higgs Boson is a subatomic particle that is theorized to give other particles their mass. It was first proposed by physicist Peter Higgs in the 1960s and was confirmed by experiments at the Large Hadron Collider in 2012.

2. How could a Higgs Boson trigger the big bang?

The big bang theory states that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature. According to the theory, the Higgs field would have existed during this singularity and played a role in the rapid expansion of the universe, known as inflation.

3. Is there evidence that a Higgs Boson triggered the big bang?

Currently, there is no direct evidence that a Higgs Boson triggered the big bang. However, the discovery of the Higgs Boson has helped scientists better understand the early universe and its fundamental particles and forces.

4. Can a Higgs Boson be created in a lab?

Yes, a Higgs Boson can be created in a lab through high-energy particle collisions. This was achieved at the Large Hadron Collider in 2012, confirming the existence of the Higgs Boson.

5. What impact does the discovery of the Higgs Boson have on our understanding of the big bang?

The discovery of the Higgs Boson has provided valuable insights into the early universe and its fundamental particles and forces. It has also supported the big bang theory and helped scientists better understand the processes that may have led to the formation of the universe.