Determining motor speed from PWM waveform

In summary, the conversation is about determining the speed of a motor from a PWM waveform. The motor in question is a disassembled lego motor with three coils on the rotor and a 4 pole permanent magnet stator. The conversation discusses the number of pulses per revolution and the observed speed of the motor, which is significantly different from the expected speed. The participants suggest reducing the sweep speed and synchronizing the CRO to display a steady repetitive signal to accurately calculate the speed of the motor.
tomcorker
As part of a lab report I have to determine the speed of a motor from the PWM waveform.

The motor in question is a lego motor, of type at disassembled at http://www.philohome.com/motors/motor.htm. It has three coils on the rotor and a 4 pole permanent magnet stator.

This is the waveform I have:
9idcea.jpg

You can see the PWM pulses, and in between there is the output waveform of the motor acting as a generator when no voltage is being applied. I should be able to calculate the speed of the motor from the time of one of the generator pulses (not the PWM pulses). I measured this as 3.1ms (you can check on the image).

I suppose my question is how many pulses should there be per revolution of the rotor?This is what I thought:
I know what I am seeing is effectively rectified 3-phase AC from the three coils, so there should be 6 pulses per complete cycle on one coil. There are 2 pole pairs, so there will be 2 cycles per coil per revolution, giving a total of 12 per revolution.
At 3.1ms per pulse, one revolution should be 37.2ms per revolution. The motor has an internal 14:1 gearing, so the output shaft should be rotating at about 0.5s per rev, or about 120rpm.
But what I actually observed was 4s per revolution at the output shaft (15rpm), so I'm out by a factor of 8.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Reduce the sweep speed until you are able to perceive a complete period of the waveform, i.e., the time taken before each nuance on the waveform repeats. You'll see what I mean if you try it. Each winding and brush gives a unique signature to its contribution to the emf and it is consistent.

Thanks - I see what you mean. I'll have a go when I'm in the lab tomorrow.

Synchronizing the CRO to display a steady repetitive signal will be a problem. The PWM pulses are not synchronized to the rotation of the shaft, are they? Can you capture a single sweep and examine that?

I would first like to commend the author for their thorough and detailed analysis of the motor's PWM waveform. It shows a good understanding of the principles behind motor operation and the use of PWM to control its speed.

Based on the information provided, I agree with the author's calculation of 12 pulses per revolution of the rotor. However, I believe the discrepancy in the actual observed speed of 15rpm versus the calculated speed of 120rpm could be due to several factors.

Firstly, the internal gearing of the motor could play a significant role in the observed speed. The 14:1 gearing could be affecting the motor's output speed, resulting in a lower than expected revolution per minute.

Secondly, there could be factors such as friction and mechanical resistance that are not accounted for in the calculation, which could also contribute to the lower observed speed.

Lastly, it is important to note that the motor's speed can vary depending on the load it is driving. This could also explain the difference in observed speed compared to the calculated speed.

In conclusion, while the author's analysis and calculation are sound, there could be other factors at play that could affect the motor's speed. Further experimentation and analysis may be needed to determine the exact reason for the observed discrepancy.

Related to Determining motor speed from PWM waveform

1. How is motor speed determined from a PWM waveform?

The motor speed can be determined by measuring the frequency of the PWM waveform. This frequency is directly proportional to the motor speed, so a higher frequency indicates a faster motor speed and a lower frequency indicates a slower motor speed.

2. What is the relationship between PWM duty cycle and motor speed?

The PWM duty cycle is also directly proportional to the motor speed. A higher duty cycle means that the motor is on for a longer period of time, resulting in a faster speed. Conversely, a lower duty cycle means that the motor is on for a shorter period of time, resulting in a slower speed.

3. How accurate is the motor speed determined from a PWM waveform?

The accuracy of the motor speed determined from a PWM waveform depends on various factors such as the precision of the PWM signal, the accuracy of the frequency measurement, and any external factors that may affect the motor speed. Overall, it is a relatively accurate method of determining motor speed.

4. Is it possible to control the motor speed using a PWM signal?

Yes, it is possible to control the motor speed by adjusting the duty cycle of the PWM signal. By changing the duty cycle, the average voltage applied to the motor changes, resulting in a different speed.

5. Are there any limitations to using PWM to determine motor speed?

One limitation is that this method may not be suitable for very high-speed motors, as the frequency of the PWM signal may be too high to accurately measure. Additionally, external factors such as load or temperature may affect the accuracy of the measurement.