Determining convergence of infinite series with factorial without ratio test

In summary, the series in question is determined to be convergent using the Limit Comparison Ratio Test. The comparison series used was 1/n!, and it was shown to converge using the Ratio Test. This ultimately proves that the original series also converges.
emr13

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series below is convergent or not:

[tex]\sum 7*\frac{n!}{n^{n-10}}[/tex]

n=8 and the series goes to infinity
(Sorry, I couldn't get the formatting correct.)

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, originally I thought the series was divergent, and used the nth Term Test to prove it. Except that gave me infinity over infinity. I stopped there because I can't use L'Hospital's rule because I don't know how to derive factorials.

We use a computer program to enter answers, and it told me the series didn't diverge. So I know it converges. However, I have no idea how to prove that, and an explanation is required with my answer.

I know that the Ratio test is used for series with factorials, but we have not been taught that yet. The Alternating Series doesn't apply, and I don't think the p-series test applies directly.

So that leaves the Comparison and the Limit Comparison tests. What series should I use to compare? And is there any way to get rid of the factorial?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the [STRIKE]limit comparison[/STRIKE] ratio test to get rid of the factorial and although I didn't do it all, it looks like it will show that the series converges.

Last edited:
n!<n^n, isn't it? Do you have the integral test?

Bohrok said:
You can use the limit comparison test to get rid of the factorial and although I didn't do it all, it looks like it will show that the series converges.

So would I use [tex]\frac{1}{n!}[/tex] as my comparison series? And if so, how do I prove that converges? Because the nth Term test doesn't prove something converges if the limit as n goes to infinity is zero.

Dick said:

And I don't know how to take the antiderivative of n! so I don't think the intergral test applies.

Dick said:

What I was thinking of would only apply to n!/(n^(n+10)) anyway. You don't know Stirling's approximation by any chance?

Nope.

I'm sorry, I meant ratio test before.
Originally I tried to find a good comparison, but every larger series I tried didn't converge... then I started trying a limit comparison.

A limit comparison with n!/n^n, which converges, has a limit of infinity. It's not zero, but does an infinite limit mean the other sum converges if one converges? I'm not having much luck finding the answer to that on Google.

Here's one way to do it. I'm just going to do this schematically, ok? First show n!/n^n is less than roughly (1/2)^(n/2). Do this by writing out the product term by term and showing about half the terms are less then 1/2 and the rest are between 1/2 and 1. Now n!/n^(n-10) is less than ((n-10)!/n^(n-10))*(n^10). So we've got (1/2)^((n-10)/2)*n^10. At this point a ratio test would be GREAT. But let's avoid it. Use l'Hopital to show n^10 is less than than 2^((n-10)/4) for sufficiently large n. So your series is bounded by a geometric series. Awkward, you bet. It's all I could come up with.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all your help.

Turns out we learned the Ratio Test just in time for me to submit the assignment, so that's what I used.

Related to Determining convergence of infinite series with factorial without ratio test

1. How do you determine the convergence of an infinite series with factorial without using the ratio test?

To determine the convergence of an infinite series with factorial, you can use the comparison test or the limit comparison test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known convergent or divergent series, and evaluating the limit of the quotient of their terms.

2. What is the comparison test?

The comparison test states that if the terms of a series are always smaller than the terms of a known convergent series, then the given series is also convergent. Conversely, if the terms of a series are always larger than the terms of a known divergent series, then the given series is also divergent.

3. What is the limit comparison test?

The limit comparison test is a variation of the comparison test, where instead of directly comparing the terms of two series, we take the limit of the quotient of their terms. If the limit is a positive, finite number, then the two series behave similarly, and have the same convergence or divergence. If the limit is zero or infinity, then the two series have opposite convergence or divergence.

4. Can the comparison test or limit comparison test be used for all infinite series with factorial?

No, these tests can only be used for series with positive terms. If a series has alternating positive and negative terms, or terms that do not approach zero, then these tests cannot be applied.

5. Are there other methods for determining the convergence of infinite series with factorial?

Yes, there are other tests such as the integral test, root test, and alternating series test that can be used to determine the convergence of infinite series with factorial. It is important to carefully choose the appropriate test for each series, and to also consider the behavior of the terms of the series.