Determine number of chill rollers for cooling

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of determining the number of chill rollers needed to cool down glue being extruded onto a fabric. The method involves calculating the rate of heat transfer and using it to determine the temperature of the glue after a certain amount of time in contact with the roller. The temperature difference of the glue is then used to determine the number of chill rollers needed. The validity of this method is questioned and it is suggested to repeat the steps for each roller.
roldy
I've been tasked to see if I could determine the number of chill rollers needed to cool down glue being extruded onto a fabric. I'm not sure if my method is valid. The roller has wall thickness d with contact area A. Water inside chill roller is at T1 and glue is at T2.

1) Calculate the rate of heat transfer of the first roller
2) Use the rate of heat transfer to calculate T2t, temperature of glue after time t of roller contact
3) Find ΔT of the glue of the first roller.
4) Use ΔT to determine number of chill rollers to be used. Round answer accordingly

1) Q/t = kA(T2-T1)/d

2) T2t = Qd/(tkA) + T1

3) ΔT = T2t - T2

4) n = (Treq - T2)/ΔT

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    10.8 KB · Views: 609
Engineering news on Phys.org
roldy said:
4) Use ΔT to determine number of chill rollers to be used. Round answer accordingly

I don't think the temperature delta won't be the same for each roller. I think you need to repeat steps 1-3 for each roller.

After re-reading my problem I realized that I do in fact have to repeat the steps. Although, I'm not all to certain these steps will work because when I back solve forT2t I will get T2.

Last edited:

Related to Determine number of chill rollers for cooling

1. How do I determine the number of chill rollers needed for cooling?

The number of chill rollers needed for cooling depends on several factors such as the type of material being cooled, the desired cooling rate, and the width of the material. It is best to consult with a cooling expert or refer to equipment manuals for specific recommendations.

2. What is the purpose of using chill rollers for cooling?

Chill rollers are used in many industrial processes to cool materials quickly and efficiently. They help to maintain the integrity and quality of the material being cooled and can also increase production speeds.

3. How do I know if my current number of chill rollers is sufficient?

To determine if the number of chill rollers is sufficient, you can monitor the temperature and cooling rate of the material as it passes through the rollers. If the material is not reaching the desired temperature or cooling rate, it may be necessary to add more chill rollers.

4. Can I use the same number of chill rollers for different materials?

The number of chill rollers needed may vary depending on the type of material being cooled. Some materials may require more or fewer chill rollers to achieve the desired cooling rate. It is important to consider the specific properties of each material when determining the number of chill rollers needed.

5. What maintenance is required for chill rollers?

Chill rollers should be regularly inspected and cleaned to ensure optimal performance. This may include removing any debris or buildup from the rollers, checking for wear and tear, and lubricating any moving parts. It is also important to follow manufacturer recommendations for maintenance and replacement schedules.