Determine force that will cause cylinder to roll out of cart

In summary, the problem involves determining the value of P that will cause a homogeneous cylinder to begin to roll out of a rectangular recess. The mass of the cylinder is m, the mass of the cart is M, and friction of the cart wheels is negligible. To solve this, a free body diagram of the cylinder alone should be drawn, with forces such as the weight of the cylinder and the horizontal force provided by the edge of the slot taken into consideration. The correct answer is P = sqrt(3)(M+m)(g).
bkw2694

Homework Statement

I've uploaded an image of the problem below. The problem states: Determine the value of P which will cause the homogeneous cylinder to begin to roll up out of its rectangular recess.The mass of the cylinder is m, the mass of the cart is M. Friction of the cart wheels i negligible.

Homework Equations

ΣF_x = ma_x
ΣF_y = ma_y
ΣM_G = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure how to approach the cylinder in this problem, but I can see that a FBD of the problem shows m*g and M*g going downward in the y-direction, and P is in the x-direction. I'm also assuming the cart is accelerating in the x-direction, which means a_y = 0.

The correct answer is P = sqrt(3)(M+m)(g). I'm obviously missing some key force because I keep getting P =0.

Attachments

• 6.8.JPG
    6.8.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 835
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn a free body diagram for the cylinder alone? What forces act on the cylinder when it is just at the verge of tipping up and out?

The edge of the slot provides the horizontal force that accelerates the cylinder.
Generally, its best to avoid reaction forces - in this case it seems simpler to do so.
The reaction force on the C. M. provides a counter-clockwise torque about the edge of the slot.
The weight of the cylinder provides a clockwise torque about the same edge.
Obviously, once the cylinder starts to tip (torques are equal) the counterclockwise torque will exceed the clockwise torque.

J Hann said:
The edge of the slot provides the horizontal force that accelerates the cylinder.
Generally, its best to avoid reaction forces - in this case it seems simpler to do so.
The reaction force on the C. M. provides a counter-clockwise torque about the edge of the slot.
The weight of the cylinder provides a clockwise torque about the same edge.
Obviously, once the cylinder starts to tip (torques are equal) the counterclockwise torque will exceed the clockwise torque.
The approach that I have in mind is different from this. It ends with the same result but avoids talking about torque, angular momentum or reaction forces. But either way, bkw2694 needs to do that free body diagram for the cylinder alone.

Related to Determine force that will cause cylinder to roll out of cart

1. What is the force required for a cylinder to roll out of a cart?

The force required for a cylinder to roll out of a cart depends on several factors, including the mass and diameter of the cylinder, the surface of the cart, and the angle of the incline. A higher mass and larger diameter will require a greater force, while a smoother surface and steeper incline will reduce the force needed.

2. How can the force needed to roll a cylinder out of a cart be calculated?

The force needed can be calculated using the formula F = mg(sinθ + μcosθ), where F is the force, m is the mass of the cylinder, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction between the cylinder and the cart's surface.

3. What is the coefficient of friction and how does it affect the force needed?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. It affects the force needed because a higher coefficient of friction will increase the resistance and require a greater force to overcome it.

4. Can the force needed to roll a cylinder out of a cart be reduced?

Yes, the force needed can be reduced by decreasing the mass and diameter of the cylinder, using a smoother surface for the cart, and increasing the angle of incline. Additionally, using lubricants or reducing the weight of the cart itself can also decrease the force needed.

5. Are there any safety concerns when determining the force needed to roll a cylinder out of a cart?

Yes, it is important to use caution when performing calculations and experiments involving force. Safety precautions should be taken to prevent injury from heavy objects and potential slipping on inclines. It is also important to properly secure the cylinder and cart to prevent them from rolling unexpectedly.