Determine equation for object distance

• Thread starter Barry Melby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ray optics
In summary, the conversation discusses using a converging mirror to form an image that is N times larger than the object. The radius of curvature of the mirror is denoted as R and the object distance is represented as o. The homework equations used are 1/f = 1/o + 1/i, N = -i/o, and f = R/2. The solution involves solving for o in terms of N and R using the equation o = ((1-N)/R)(1/2N), but it is noted that this solution may be incorrect and further analysis is needed.
Barry Melby

Homework Statement

You wish to use a converging mirror to form an image that is N times larger than the object. R is the radius of curvature of the mirror. At what distance o from the mirror should you place the object? Determine the object distance. Express your answer in terms of N and R. Follow the sign convention.

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/o + 1/i
N = -i/o
f = R/2

The Attempt at a Solution

N*o = 1 / (2/R + 1/o)
2N*o + N =1
o = ((1-N)/R)(1/2N)
This appears incorrect though.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is, in fact, incorrect. But what are your reasons for thinking so?

Related to Determine equation for object distance

1. What is the equation for determining object distance?

The equation for determining object distance is d = (s * f) / (s + f), where d is the object distance, s is the distance of the object from the lens, and f is the focal length of the lens.

2. How do I use the equation to determine the object distance?

To use the equation, you will need to measure the distance of the object from the lens and the focal length of the lens. Plug these values into the equation and solve for d. The resulting value will be the object distance.

3. Can I use this equation for any type of lens?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of lens, as long as the focal length is known. It works for both convex and concave lenses.

4. What units should I use for the distance and focal length in the equation?

The units for the distance and focal length should be consistent. For example, if the distance is measured in centimeters, then the focal length should also be in centimeters. This will ensure that the resulting object distance is in the same unit as well.

5. Is there any other factor that can affect the accuracy of this equation?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of this equation, such as the curvature of the lens and the distance between the object and the lens. Additionally, this equation assumes that the object is located on the principal axis of the lens. If it is not, the resulting object distance may not be accurate.