Design AC Coupled Amplifier: 12V Supply, 30mV Input, 24dB Gain

In summary: That would give a much higher input impedance and the corresponding collector current would be manageable.In summary, the circuit should have an input impedance greater than 1.2million ohms and an output impedance less than 180ohms. The gain of the first stage should be approximately RC / RE and the bias resistors appear in parallel with the inputs and the loads for both stages.
Ashyboo
Hey guys.

I want to design an AC coupled amplifier, to be powered by a 12V supply. The input voltage should be less than 30mV and the gain of the circuit should be 24dB. The circuit has 2 stages with the gain of the 1st transistor amplifier being used to amplify the signal going into the 2nd transistor.

I already know how the circuit should look but I need to ensure that the input impedance is greater than 1.2million ohms and the output impedance less than 180ohms.

From the circuit below, does anyone know what resistor values I should use for this criteria?

amp.jpg

Thanx in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are barking up the wrong tree. You will need a lot more components with a bunch of negative feedback to achieve an input impedance that high with that much gain. That would be my approach anyway. What is wrong with using several op-amps?

Agreed. It is pretty hard with discrete analog devices. The gain of transistors can vary by as much as 3 to 1, so you end up making it and adjusting it just to make it work.

The "gain" specified in dB is actually a fractional voltage gain due to the different input and output impedances. If someone wants a voltage gain of 16 they should just say so, not try to dress it up with dB figures.

The gain of the first stage is approximately RC / RE and the input impedance is approximately hfe * RE. But the bias resistors appear in parallel with the inputs and the loads for both stages.

Both of these calculations force very large values of RC and RE so the collector current becomes very small and the base current gets microscopic.

If I had to use those components, it might be worth using the FET as the input device.

Related to Design AC Coupled Amplifier: 12V Supply, 30mV Input, 24dB Gain

1. What is a Design AC Coupled Amplifier?

A Design AC Coupled Amplifier is an electronic circuit that amplifies an AC input signal while removing any DC component. It is commonly used to amplify audio signals in audio equipment such as speakers and headphones.

2. What is the power supply requirement for a Design AC Coupled Amplifier?

The power supply for a Design AC Coupled Amplifier is typically a 12V DC supply. This ensures that the amplifier has enough power to properly amplify the input signal.

3. How do I calculate the gain for a Design AC Coupled Amplifier?

The gain for a Design AC Coupled Amplifier can be calculated by taking the output voltage divided by the input voltage. For example, if the output voltage is 6V and the input voltage is 3V, the gain would be 2 (6V/3V = 2). In this case, the gain would be 24dB.

4. What is the purpose of AC coupling in an amplifier?

AC coupling in an amplifier removes any DC offset from the input signal, allowing for a cleaner and more accurate amplification of the AC signal. This is important in audio applications where DC offset can cause distortion and affect the quality of the sound.

5. How does a Design AC Coupled Amplifier handle different input voltages?

A Design AC Coupled Amplifier is designed to handle a range of input voltages. However, it is important to ensure that the input signal is within the specified range for the amplifier to function properly. If the input voltage is too high, it can cause distortion or even damage the amplifier.