Deriving a Velocity Equation

In summary, The Pitt Fall at Kennywood is a thrill ride that involves lifting passengers to a certain height, pausing, and then dropping them to free fall towards the ground before gradually applying breaks. Using the given drag force and terminal velocity, the value of b can be determined to be 1962.6. The equation for velocity as a function of time can be derived using calculus and the net force on the ride, which includes gravity.
member 217843

Homework Statement

The Pitt Fall is thrill ride at Kennywood that lifts passengers to a certain height, pauses for a few moments, and then drops the riders, causing them to free fall towards the ground before gradually applying breaks 79 ft above the ground. Assume there is a drag force, F=-bv, and the terminal velocity reached is 65 mph (29.1m/s). There are 16 passengers, each weighing 178 lbs, and the ride weighs 10,000 lbs. Determine the value of b. Derive the velocity equation as a function of time.

Homework Equations

I understand that you must use calculus, but I do not know how to derive the equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that b=1962.6, and I started to derive the equation, but I am not certain where to go from here:
F=-bv
ma=-bv
m(dv/dt)=-bv
dv/v=-b(dt)/m
[tex]\int dv/v[/tex]=-b/m[tex]\int dt[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
First you got value of b wrong i guess. And net force on the ride its not just -bv, there is gravity too, otherwise this whole ride would have no meaning ;] Net force is F = mg - bv (if you choose your positive axis downward)
Terminal velocity means that F=ma=0 (a = 0) so velocity does not change: mg - bv =0 -> b = mg/v (use right units too - if g is in m/s^2, then v in m/s)
As for finding v in terms of time, just write:
F = ma = m(dv/dt) = mg - bv

Last edited:

Related to Deriving a Velocity Equation

What is the velocity equation?

The velocity equation is a mathematical formula that represents the relationship between an object's velocity, distance, and time. It is commonly used in physics to calculate an object's speed and direction of motion.

How is the velocity equation derived?

The velocity equation is derived from the basic definition of velocity, which is the change in an object's position over a certain amount of time. By rearranging the equation, we can solve for velocity by dividing the change in distance by the change in time.

What are the variables in the velocity equation?

The variables in the velocity equation are velocity (v), distance (d), and time (t). Velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s), distance is measured in meters (m), and time is measured in seconds (s).

Can the velocity equation be used for objects with changing velocities?

Yes, the velocity equation can be used for objects with changing velocities, as long as the change in velocity is constant over a given time interval. If the velocity is changing at a non-constant rate, calculus must be used to find the velocity equation.

How is the velocity equation used in real-world applications?

The velocity equation is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the speed of a moving car, the trajectory of a projectile, or the velocity of an object falling due to gravity. It is also used in engineering and design to analyze and optimize the movement of objects.