Derive an equation which could be used to calculate the bending moment

In summary: See any mechanics of materials book for a definition of curvature, K. If you meant to say strain = Z*curvature, that is OK, but curvature is usually symbolized differently, as κ or sometimes R. K is usually used for the radius of curvature.hmm ok, trying to figure out how to get strain from the radius of curvatureIn summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the maximum bending moment of a beam using a strain gauge bonded to the outer surface. The relevant equations are provided, including the stress-strain relationship and the equation for strain in terms of the radius of curvature. The conversation also touches on finding the location of the maximum bending moment and the meaning of symbols used in the equations. Ultimately,
oxon88

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

The calculation for the maximum bending moment is to be verified
experimentally using a strain gauge bonded to the outer surface of the
beam, at the point where the maximum bending moment occurs.
Derive an equation which could be used to calculate the bending
moment from the measured strain value. State the meaning of all
symbols used in your equation.

Homework Equations

M / I = σ / y = E / R

Stress = Force / Area = F/A

strain = Change in Length / Original Length

1 / R = M / EI

can anyone provide some guidance?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oxon88 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 64121

The calculation for the maximum bending moment is to be verified
experimentally using a strain gauge bonded to the outer surface of the
beam, at the point where the maximum bending moment occurs.
Derive an equation which could be used to calculate the bending
moment from the measured strain value. State the meaning of all
symbols used in your equation.

Homework Equations

M / I = σ / y = E / R

Stress = Force / Area = F/A

strain = Change in Length / Original Length

1 / R = M / EI

can anyone provide some guidance?
You are missing in your relevant equations the relationship between stress and strain. Hint: check out the stress strain graph for an ideal elastic material.

PhanthomJay said:
You are missing in your relevant equations the relationship between stress and strain.

You already have the stress-strain relation in your equation 1 / R = M / EI.

You need an equation to get the strain from the radius of curvature.

You also need to find where the maximum bending moment occurs, so draw a shear force and bending moment diagram.

The problem states that the maximum bending moment and its location along the beam has already been determined, by calculation, and you wish to verify that value experimentally by applying a strain gauge on the outer surface at that point determined by calculation. The strain gauge records the strain. Now the question is knowing that strain, what is the bending moment at that location? You can use the stress-strain relation or the curvature-strain relationship, your choice.

Thanks for the replies. I have calculated the bending moment in a previous question.

The maximum bending moment is 138.4 kN-m, which occurs at 5.6m from the left end.

AlephZero said:
You already have the stress-strain relation in your equation 1 / R = M / EI.

You need an equation to get the strain from the radius of curvature.

You also need to find where the maximum bending moment occurs, so draw a shear force and bending moment diagram.

can you provide any help with the equation to get the strain from the radius of curvature?

anyone?

would the equation be M = (σ * I) / y

oxon88 said:
can you provide any help with the equation to get the strain from the radius of curvature?

would the equation be M = (σ * I) / y
no, you already have that equation that relates moment to I and stress at a distance y from the neutral axis. You also have correctly written the equation that relates moment to E and I and the radius of curvature, R. But your strain gauge is recording strain , at the outer fibers of the beam. So you must now consider the equation which relates stress to strain, which is stress =(strain)(E), to then solve for stress and then moment, OR, the equation that relates radius of curvature to strain, which you should look up because it is not often memorized or calculated, to solve for curvature and then moment. Note that the value of y must be at where strain is recorded at the outer fibers.

Last edited:
ok i see.

εmax = Z * M / EI

M = bending moment
Z = distance from the neutral layer to the outer tensile layer
K = curvature of the beam
E = Young's Modulus
I = second moment of area

That equation is correct. But I thought you wanted to find another one using the radius of curvature, K?

could i use εmax = k*z

You didn't show how you arrived at your equation for strain equals ZM/EI, which is correct . Did you use strain = stress/E?
If instead you used strain = Z/K, you would get the same result. Incidentally, the max distance to the neutral axis is usually denoted by 'c', not 'Z'.

is it not, strain = Z*K ?

oxon88 said:
is it not, strain = Z*K ?
Why no, strain is a dimensionless quantity, it has no units. If strain = Z*K, the units would be in (length)^2, since both Z and K have length units.

Related to Derive an equation which could be used to calculate the bending moment

1. What is a bending moment?

A bending moment is a measure of the bending or flexing of a structural element, such as a beam, due to an applied load.

2. Why is it important to calculate the bending moment?

Calculating the bending moment is important in structural analysis and design, as it helps engineers determine the strength and stability of a structure.

3. What factors affect the bending moment?

The bending moment is affected by the type and magnitude of the load, the material properties of the structural element, and its length and shape.

4. How do you derive an equation for calculating the bending moment?

The bending moment equation is derived using the principles of statics and the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of the structural element.

5. Can the bending moment equation be used for any type of structural element?

Yes, the bending moment equation can be used for any type of structural element, as long as the load and material properties are known.