Derivative of angular momentum

In summary, The conversation discusses the relationship between angular momentum and angular velocity, and how to simplify calculations using a key formula derived from Euler's equation. The formula involves matrices and differentiation, and there is a discussion about the potential simplifications and usefulness of this formula.
DavideGenoa
Hi, friends! Let the quantity ##I\boldsymbol{\omega}## be given, where ##I## is an inertia matrix and ##\boldsymbol{\omega}## a column vector representing angular velocity; ##I\boldsymbol{\omega}## can be the angular momentum of a rigid body rotating around a static point or around its -even moving- centre of mass, with ##I## calculated with respect to such a point. I have tried to derive, without any difficulty, a key formula from which Euler 's equation derive in the following way. By using a moving Cartesian frame, dextrogyre as is usual for angular quantities, having the basis ##(\mathbf{i},\mathbf{j},\mathbf{k})=(\mathbf{i}(t),\mathbf{j}(t),\mathbf{k}(t))##, solidal with the rigid body, whose vectors I write as the columns of a matrix ##E=\left( \begin{array}{ccc}\mathbf{i}&\mathbf{j}&\mathbf{k} \end{array} \right)##, we see that

##I\boldsymbol{\omega}=EI_m E^{-1} \boldsymbol{\omega}=EI_m \boldsymbol{\omega}_{m}##​

where the index ##m## means that the respective quantities are expressed with respect to basis ##\{\mathbf{i},\mathbf{j},\mathbf{k}\}##. By differentiating we get

##\frac{d(I\boldsymbol{\omega})}{dt}=\frac{dE}{dt}I_m\boldsymbol{\omega}_{m}+E\frac{d(I_m\boldsymbol{\omega}_{m})}{dt}##
and, since Poisson formulae give us ##\frac{d}{dt}\left( \begin{array}{ccc}\mathbf{i}&\mathbf{j}&\mathbf{k} \end{array} \right)=\left( \begin{array}{ccc}\boldsymbol{\omega}\times\mathbf{i}&\boldsymbol{\omega}\times\mathbf{j}&\boldsymbol{\omega}\times\mathbf{k} \end{array} \right)##, if we call the ##i##-th row of matrix ##I_m## as ##I_m^{(i)}##, we see that

##\frac{d(I\boldsymbol{\omega})}{dt}=\frac{dE}{dt}I_m\boldsymbol{\omega}_{m}+E\frac{d(I_m\boldsymbol{\omega}_{m})}{dt}=\boldsymbol{\omega}\times( I_m^{(1)}\cdot\boldsymbol{\omega}_m\mathbf{i})+\boldsymbol{\omega}\times( I_m^{(2)}\cdot\boldsymbol{\omega}_m\mathbf{j})+\boldsymbol{\omega}\times( I_m^{(3)}\cdot\boldsymbol{\omega}_m\mathbf{k})++E\frac{d(I_m\boldsymbol{\omega}_{m})}{dt}##
##=\boldsymbol{\omega}\times (I\boldsymbol{\omega})+E\frac{d(I_m\boldsymbol{\omega}_{m})}{dt}##​

and, since ##I_m## does not depend upon ##t## because it is calculated according to the moving basis,
##\frac{d(I\boldsymbol{\omega})}{dt}=\boldsymbol{\omega}\times (I\boldsymbol{\omega})+\left( \begin{array}{ccc}\mathbf{i}&\mathbf{j}&\mathbf{k} \end{array} \right)I_m\frac{d\boldsymbol{\omega}_{m}}{dt}##​

or, equivalently,​

##\frac{d(I\boldsymbol{\omega})}{dt}=\boldsymbol{\omega}\times (I\boldsymbol{\omega})+I \left( \begin{array}{ccc}\mathbf{i}&\mathbf{j}&\mathbf{k} \end{array} \right) \frac{d\big(\left( \begin{array}{ccc}\mathbf{i}&\mathbf{j}&\mathbf{k} \end{array} \right)^{-1}\boldsymbol{\omega}\big)}{dt}=\boldsymbol{\omega}\times (I\boldsymbol{\omega})+I\Big(\frac{d(\boldsymbol{\omega}\cdot\mathbf{i})}{dt}\mathbf{i}+\frac{d(\boldsymbol{\omega}\cdot\mathbf{j})}{dt}\mathbf{j}+\frac{d(\boldsymbol{\omega}\cdot\mathbf{k})}{dt}\mathbf{k}\Big)##​

I suppose that such a formula is used to simplify some calculations, but I am not sure where the simplification is. Is it used because it is easier to differentiate ##\boldsymbol{\omega}_m=(\boldsymbol{\omega}\cdot\mathbf{i},\boldsymbol{\omega}\cdot\mathbf{j},\boldsymbol{\omega}\cdot\mathbf{k})## (which does not seem so easy to compute to my eyes...) and left-multiply by ##\left( \begin{array}{ccc}\mathbf{i}&\mathbf{j}&\mathbf{k} \end{array} \right)I_m##, where ##I_m## can be easy to compute, than acting upon ##I##? I would like to collect ideas on how such formula is used. Thank you very much for any answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
A motion with rotation on more than one main direction must be very complex. Rotation on one axis make forces on the others:
$$ \textbf{τ} = \frac{\partial}{\partial{t}}\mathbf{L} = I\frac{\partial}{\partial{t}}\textbf{ω} $$

Likes DavideGenoa

Related to Derivative of angular momentum

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object around an axis. It is a vector quantity that depends on the mass, velocity, and distance of the object from the axis of rotation.

How is angular momentum calculated?

The angular momentum of an object can be calculated as the product of its moment of inertia and its angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while the angular velocity is the rate at which the object is rotating.

What is the derivative of angular momentum?

The derivative of angular momentum is the rate of change of angular momentum with respect to time. It is equal to the torque acting on an object at a given moment in time.

Why is the derivative of angular momentum important?

The derivative of angular momentum is important because it helps us understand how an object's rotational motion is changing over time. It can also be used to predict the future motion of an object and to analyze the forces acting on it.

What are some real-world applications of the derivative of angular momentum?

The derivative of angular momentum has many applications in physics and engineering, including the design of rotating machinery, analysis of planetary motion, and development of gyroscopic instruments. It is also used in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, to optimize performance and understand the physics behind complex movements.