Derivative by First Principle: Is There a Quicker Method?

• Thread starter projection
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the speaker is asking for a quicker method to find the instantaneous rate of change expression using the first principle or limit definition of the derivative. They find the chain rule method easier but are looking for a way to reduce the tediousness of the first principle method. They also clarify the definition of the first principle and suggest using the properties of products of limits to simplify the process.
projection
hi. i need some help with a derivative question. i can get the answer and all but it takes a long time to do it.

i need to find the instantaneous rate of change expression (derivative), and i MUST use the first principle.

1/(25x+4)^4

i can do this with the chain rule method quite easily. the first principle method takes forever as i use pascal's triangle to expand and the brackets and all.

is there some sort of a quicker method where by substituting in some other variable or something. i really don't want to do ten or so of these that take 10 minutes to get through.

Physics news on Phys.org
projection said:
hi. i need some help with a derivative question. i can get the answer and all but it takes a long time to do it.

i need to find the instantaneous rate of change expression (derivative), and i MUST use the first principle.

1/(25x+4)^4

i can do this with the chain rule method quite easily. the first principle method takes forever as i use pascal's triangle to expand and the brackets and all.

is there some sort of a quicker method where by substituting in some other variable or something. i really don't want to do ten or so of these that take 10 minutes to get through.

Can you clarify (i.e. state) the first principle? This term is unfamiliar to some of us without further context. Do you mean using the limit definition of the derivative?

rs1n said:
Can you clarify (i.e. state) the first principle? This term is unfamiliar to some of us without further context. Do you mean using the limit definition of the derivative?

yes.

lim h[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0
[tex]\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

projection said:
yes.

lim h[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0
[tex]\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

I'll start off by saying: what an awful assignment. One can generally assess whether or not a student understands the limit definition without resorting to such tedious assignments in symbolic manipulation.

That said, you are probably doing it correctly; and yes, it is tedious. However, you may be able try the following (via the limit definition):

The chain rule can be derived from the limit definition as follows:

[tex]\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f[g(x+h)] - f[g(x)]}{(x+h)-x}
= \lim_{h\to 0} \left( \frac{f[g(x+h)] - f[g(x)]}{g(x+h)-g(x)} \cdot \frac{g(x+h)-g(x)}{(x+h)-x}\right)[/tex]

Using the properties of products of limits, we obtain:

[tex] \left( \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f[g(x+h)] - f[g(x)]}{g(x+h)-g(x)} \right)
\cdot \left(\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{g(x+h)-g(x)}{(x+h)-x}\right) = f'[g(x)]\cdot g'(x)[/tex]

In this last equation, the [tex]g(x+h)[/tex] and [tex]g(x)[/tex] are now the "x-coordinates" and the [tex]f[g(x+h)][/tex] and [tex]f[g(x)][/tex] are the corresponding "y-coordinates" (notice that the fraction is essentially the slope through the two "points"). Perhaps you may be allowed to taylor this derivation to your own problems in order to reduce the amount of symbolic manipulation.

Related to Derivative by First Principle: Is There a Quicker Method?

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It can also be thought of as the slope of a tangent line to a curve at a given point.

How do you calculate a derivative?

To calculate a derivative, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of a function by manipulating its algebraic form.

What is the difference between a derivative and an integral?

A derivative represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function, while an integral represents the accumulation of a function over an interval. In other words, a derivative tells you how fast something is changing, while an integral tells you the total amount of change over a period of time.

Why are derivatives important?

Derivatives are fundamental in calculus and have many practical applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to solve optimization problems, model real-world phenomena, and understand the behavior of functions.

Can derivatives be negative?

Yes, derivatives can be negative. A negative derivative indicates that the function is decreasing at that point, while a positive derivative indicates that the function is increasing. The magnitude of the derivative also tells you how steep the function is at that point.