Derivation of electric field for a dipole.

In summary, the conversation is about finding an equation for the electric field between a dipole and a test charge. The student is following a textbook and class notes, but is having trouble understanding some of the steps. They highlight two specific areas where they are struggling and ask for further explanation.
Scintillation

Homework Statement

A test charge P is separated by a distance "Z" from the midpoint of a dipole. The distance between the two particles in the dipole is d. Find an equation for the electric field between the dipole and the test charge.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I did not want to spend a lot of time in Latex, I did a quick sketch of my work in Paint (thus, the messiness).

I am following Halliday/Resnick 8th edition. The book does not explain most of this problem, so I redid this based on class notes.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2jbf7.jpg

I'm having an issue with some of the steps. I understand that there is a superposition of electric fields from the negative and positive charges, and used the basic equation (kq/r^2) to solve for the separate electric fields.

Unfortunately, the book calls skips some of the steps, calling it "some algebra," and my instructor went through it very quickly.

I highlighted the problem areas:
1. I don't understand how (z^2 + (d/2)^2)= z^2(1+(d/2z).
How exactly does that work? That is very confusing.

2. Supposedly, I can expand this part using the binomial theorem.
But the binomial theorem is (1+x)^n= 1 + (nx) + (n(n-1)^2)/2!

Given that n=-2, I don't know why I can skip the next step.

After these two problem areas, I understood the rest of it, and am able to solve (as shown). Yet, these two areas that I didn't understand are pretty important, and it would be terrible to simply memorize them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Scintillation said:
Unfortunately, the book calls skips some of the steps, calling it "some algebra," and my instructor went through it very quickly.

I highlighted the problem areas:
1. I don't understand how (z^2 + (d/2)^2)= z^2(1+(d/2z).
How exactly does that work? That is very confusing.

The notes don't say (z2 + (d/2)2)= z2(1+(d/2z) .

They say (z2 + (d/2)2)= z2(1+(d/2z)2) .

That's just algebra, factoring out z2 .

Do you need that explained further?

Related to Derivation of electric field for a dipole.

What is a dipole?

A dipole is a pair of electric charges with equal magnitude and opposite polarity, separated by a small distance.

How is the electric field of a dipole calculated?

The electric field of a dipole can be calculated by taking the derivative of the electric potential with respect to distance, and then multiplying by the distance between the charges.

What is the equation for the electric field of a dipole?

The equation for the electric field of a dipole is E = k(q/r^3)(2cosθ), where k is the Coulomb constant, q is the magnitude of the charge, r is the distance between the charges, and θ is the angle between the line connecting the charges and the point in space where the electric field is being measured.

How does the electric field of a dipole change with distance?

The electric field of a dipole decreases with distance, following an inverse-cube law. This means that as the distance from the dipole increases, the electric field strength decreases significantly.

Is the electric field of a dipole uniform?

No, the electric field of a dipole is not uniform. It varies in direction and magnitude at different points in space, depending on the distance and angle from the dipole.