Deleting individual files in a CD-RW

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, if you have written files on a CD and it is set to read-only, you cannot delete individual files. The CD must be written in 'multisession' mode in order for you to delete files. As it is re-writable, you can erase and rewrite it as a multisession disc. To access this mode, you will need to check the settings of your CD burning software.
pivoxa15
My CD does not allow me to delete individual files that I have written on it. It says it is read-only. How do I change this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
if it says read only, you can't. the CD session's already been closed.

It is RW. hence re-writable but it seem I can only delete everything or nothing. How can I delete individual files?

It must be written in 'multisession' mode for you to delete files. It's RW so you can erase it and rewrite it as a multisession disc.

verty said:
It must be written in 'multisession' mode for you to delete files. It's RW so you can erase it and rewrite it as a multisession disc.

How do I access this mode?

Related to Deleting individual files in a CD-RW

1. Can I delete individual files on a CD-RW?

Yes, you can delete individual files on a CD-RW (rewritable) disc, unlike a CD-R (recordable) disc where the data is permanently burned onto the disc.

2. How do I delete individual files on a CD-RW?

To delete individual files on a CD-RW, you will need to use a disc burning software that supports the "multisession" feature. This allows you to add and delete files on the disc without erasing the entire contents. Simply open the software, select the files you want to delete, and click on the "delete" or "erase" option.

3. Can I recover deleted files from a CD-RW?

No, once you delete files from a CD-RW, they cannot be recovered. This is because the files are physically removed from the disc, unlike a computer's recycle bin where deleted files can be restored.

4. Will deleting files on a CD-RW affect the other files on the disc?

No, deleting individual files on a CD-RW will not affect the other files on the disc. However, if you choose to "finalize" the disc after deleting files, it will no longer be rewritable and the remaining files cannot be deleted or edited.

5. Can I reuse a CD-RW after deleting files?

Yes, you can reuse a CD-RW after deleting files. As long as there is enough available space on the disc, you can continue to add and delete files on it. However, keep in mind that repeatedly deleting and adding files may eventually cause the disc to become unreadable.