Delete Temp Files? Cleaning AppData/Local

• Thread starter GreatEscapist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
So in summary, within the appdata/local/temp folder, there are a lot of files starting with DIO and MSG followed by numbers and letters and sometimes additional letters (A,B,C,D) and the extension .tmp. These files are taking up a lot of space and may be remnants of malware. It is safe to delete these files as anything in a Temp folder is expendable and can be regenerated if needed to run a program.
GreatEscapist
More cleaning.

So within my appdata/local/temp I found a loooot of files starting with DIO(number)and sometimes (A,B,C,D or a combo of those).tmp

For example
DIO82.tmp
DIO82AB.tmp
DIO235C.tmp

They are taking up so much space, and google kinda makes it sound like they're even remnants of malware.

Can I delete these? Thanks.

EDIT: There are also similar files with MSG(numbers and letters).tmp
Can I delete those? :P

MOAR EDIT: Can't I just delete EVERYTHING in my Temp?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Generally anything in a Temp folder is expendable and if it is needed to run a program, that program will generate new one.

Related to Delete Temp Files? Cleaning AppData/Local

What are temporary files?

Temporary files are files that are created by various programs and applications on a computer for temporary use. They are often used to store data that is only needed for a short period of time, such as when a program is running.

Why is it important to delete temporary files?

It is important to delete temporary files because they can take up a significant amount of storage space on a computer. This can slow down the computer's performance and make it more difficult to find and access important files. Additionally, temporary files may contain sensitive information that could pose a security risk if left on the computer.

What is AppData/Local?

AppData/Local is a folder on a computer's hard drive that contains data specific to a user's profile. This can include temporary files, application settings and preferences, and other data related to programs and applications installed on the computer.

How do I delete temporary files in AppData/Local?

To delete temporary files in AppData/Local, you can use the built-in Disk Cleanup tool on a Windows computer. This tool allows you to select which types of temporary files you want to delete, including those in the AppData/Local folder. You can also manually navigate to the folder and delete the temporary files yourself, but this may be more time-consuming.

Will deleting temporary files in AppData/Local cause any issues with my computer?

No, deleting temporary files in AppData/Local should not cause any issues with your computer. These files are meant to be temporary and can be safely deleted. However, it is always a good idea to make a backup of important files before deleting any data, just in case. Additionally, if you are unsure about deleting certain files, it is best to consult with a professional or do further research before proceeding.