Definition of stress and usage of normal vector

In summary: Their equations don't make a lot of sense because they didn't give the area a symbol. So in summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the formula for stress, which is ##\sigma=\frac{F}{A}##, and its relation to the stress vector ##T_x=(\sigma_{xx},\sigma_{xy},\sigma_{xz})##. The conversation also addresses the confusion caused by the use of different notations in the text.
fisher garry

Homework Statement

Uten navn.png

The texts are taken from

http://ingforum.haninge.kth.se/armin/fluid/exer/deriv_navier_stokes.pdf

and

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_(mechanics)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The formula for stress is ##\sigma=\frac{F}{A}## (I). From the document above it is also seen that

$$T_{x}=(\sigma_{xx},\sigma_{xy},\sigma_{xz})$$
[/B]

If one looks at the drawing for $$T_{x}$$ and for simplicity sets $$\sigma_{xy}=0,\sigma_{xz}=0$$ so that $$T_{x}$$ is normal to the zy-plane. Then from

$$F_x=T_{x}n_{1}$$

and (I) one should obtain that

$$F_x=T_{x}n_{1}=\sigma A$$

But I don't get how this is correct. Can someone show a derivation

Physics news on Phys.org
The stress vectors in those figures do not look (to me) like they are perpendicular to the three planes of interest. It looks to me like there are shear components in all three cases.

Chestermiller said:
The stress vectors in those figures do not look (to me) like they are perpendicular to the three planes of interest. It looks to me like there are shear components in all three cases.

I tried to assume that it was normal to make my question easier. I believed it would not hurt the discussion.

fisher garry said:
I tried to assume that it was normal to make my question easier. I believed it would not hurt the discussion.
Then I don't understand what you are asking.

fisher garry said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 113386

The texts are taken from

http://ingforum.haninge.kth.se/armin/fluid/exer/deriv_navier_stokes.pdf

and

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_(mechanics)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The formula for stress is ##\sigma=\frac{F}{A}## (I). From the document above it is also seen that

$$T_{x}=(\sigma_{xx},\sigma_{xy},\sigma_{xz})$$
[/B]

If one looks at the drawing for $$T_{x}$$ and for simplicity sets $$\sigma_{xy}=0,\sigma_{xz}=0$$ so that $$T_{x}$$ is normal to the zy-plane. Then from

$$F_x=T_{x}n_{1}$$

and (I) one should obtain that

$$F_x=T_{x}n_{1}=\sigma A$$

But I don't get how this is correct. Can someone show a derivation

I will try one more time.

If I do not set $$\sigma_{xy}=0,\sigma_{xz}=0$$ can you then derive why

$$F_x=\sigma A$$ and
$$F_x=n \cdot T_{x}=n \cdot(\sigma_{xx},\sigma_{xy},\sigma_{xz})$$

are the same values

The stress vector an a plane perpendicular to the x-axis is given by:$$\vec{T}_x=\sigma_{xx}\vec{i}_x+\sigma_{xy}\vec{i}_y+\sigma_{xz}\vec{i_z}$$A unit normal to this plane is ##\vec{n}=\vec{i}_x##. What do you get when you dot the stress vector on the plane with the unit normal?

Chestermiller said:
The stress vector an a plane perpendicular to the x-axis is given by:$$\vec{T}_x=\sigma_{xx}\vec{i}_x+\sigma_{xy}\vec{i}_y+\sigma_{xz}\vec{i_z}$$A unit normal to this plane is ##\vec{n}=\vec{i}_x##. What do you get when you dot the stress vector on the plane with the unit normal?
You would get $$\sigma_{xx}\vec{i}_x=\sigma_{xx}$$

but in the text they get

$$\vec{T}_x \cdot \vec{i}_x=\sigma_{xx}\vec{i}_x=F_{x}$$

fisher garry said:
You would get $$\sigma_{xx}\vec{i}_x=\sigma_{xx}$$

but in the text they get

That's not what I see them getting. Of course, they did leave out the area A. I see them getting the following:

$$\vec{T}_x\centerdot \vec{i}_x=(\sigma_{xx}\vec{i}_x+\sigma_{xy}\vec{i}_y+\sigma_{xz}\vec{i_z})\centerdot \vec{i}_x=\sigma_{xx}$$

Uten navn.png

I assumed thy did get this in the text

because of the $$\vec{F}$$ that is used in the text that I uploaded above

fisher garry said:
View attachment 113424

I assumed thy did get this in the text

because of the $$\vec{F}$$ that is used in the text that I uploaded above
The reason you are so confused is because their notation sucks. The relationships I wrote were correct.

Related to Definition of stress and usage of normal vector

1. What is the definition of stress?

The definition of stress in science is the physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental tension and may be a factor in disease causation.

2. What is the definition of normal vector?

In mathematics, a normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a surface at a given point and is used to determine the direction of the surface.

3. How is stress measured in scientific studies?

Stress can be measured through various methods, such as self-report questionnaires, physiological measures like heart rate and cortisol levels, and behavioral observations.

4. How is the normal vector used in physics?

In physics, the normal vector is used to calculate the force of an object on a surface, as well as the direction and magnitude of a force acting on an object in a particular direction.

5. Can stress have a positive effect on the body?

Yes, stress can have a positive effect on the body in small amounts, as it can help us to adapt and respond to challenges. However, chronic or excessive stress can have negative effects on our physical and mental health.