Defining Poisson Brackets: Analytic Functions in Multiple Variables

In summary, Poisson brackets between two analytic functions in several variables can be defined using fundamental Poisson brackets and their properties. This can be done by substituting the Taylor expansion of the function in the Poisson bracket and simplifying it using basic rules. However, for functions with multiple variables, more information on using Taylor series with Poisson brackets can be found by searching for "calculus of several/many variables". A short section on "Taylor series in several variables" can also be found on the Wikipedia page. Unfortunately, there is no specific reference for using Taylor series with Poisson brackets.
stefano colom
l know you can define poisson brackets between two analytic function in several variables f(q1,q2,q3,..,p1,p2,p3,..) and g (q1,q2,q3,..,p1,p2,p3,..) only by foundamental poisson brackets and their proprieties.how is it possible?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the function is analytic, this means it is equal to its power expansion. If you substitute this Taylor expansion in the Poisson bracket you want to calculate, you can then use simple rules to simplify it (like P.B. of sum is sum of P.B. etc) to few basic P.B.s, like that for q1,p1.

how it is the power expansion of the function f(x,y)?
l know the power expansion of f(x), but the one of f(x,y)? can anyone tell me a website where l can find more informations about that?thank you

can you suggest me a site where l can find how to use taylor series with Poisson Brackets?

Unfortunatly I do not know any reference for this topic.

Related to Defining Poisson Brackets: Analytic Functions in Multiple Variables

1. What is a Poisson bracket?

A Poisson bracket is a mathematical operation that involves two functions of several variables. It is used to determine the rate of change of one function with respect to another, and is often used in physics and engineering to describe the dynamics of a system.

2. How is a Poisson bracket defined?

A Poisson bracket is defined as the partial derivative of one function with respect to each variable, multiplied by the partial derivative of the other function with respect to the same variables, and then summed together. This can be written as {f, g} = ∑∂f/∂x_i * ∂g/∂x_i, where f and g are the two functions and x_i represents each variable.

3. What is the significance of Poisson brackets in multiple variables?

Poisson brackets are particularly useful in multiple variables because they allow for the analysis of systems with more than two variables. They also provide a way to describe the evolution of a system over time, as they can be used to calculate the time derivative of a function.

4. How are Poisson brackets used in physics?

Poisson brackets are commonly used in physics to describe the dynamics of a system, such as the motion of particles or the behavior of fields. They are also used in Hamiltonian mechanics, a mathematical framework for describing classical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using Poisson brackets?

One limitation of Poisson brackets is that they can only be used for functions that are differentiable, meaning they have a well-defined derivative at every point. Additionally, they are most useful for describing classical systems and may not be applicable in quantum mechanics.