Decreasing nonnegative sequence and nonincreasing functions

In summary, we discussed a nonnegative nonincreasing sequence $\{p_n\}$ that converges to $p \ge 0$ and a nondecreasing function $f : [0,\infty)\to[0,\infty)$. We showed that $f(p_n) \ge f(p) \ge 0$ due to the properties of the sequence and the function. It is important to note that these inequalities are not strict.
ozkan12
Let $\{p_n\}$ be a nonnegative nonincreasing sequence and converges to $p \ge 0$. Let $f : [0,\infty)\to[0,\infty)$ be a nondecreasing function. So, since f is a nondecreasing function, $f(p_n)>f(p)>0$. How did this happen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ozkan12,

Since $\{p_n\}$ is nonincreasing and converging to $p$, $p = \inf\{p_n : n\in \Bbb N\}$, so $p_n \ge p$ for all $n\in \Bbb N$. Consequently, as $f$ is nondecreasing, $f(p_n) \ge f(p)$. So we have $f(p_n) \ge f(p) \ge 0$.

Note that the inequalities above are not strict.

Euge said:
Hi ozkan12,

Since $\{p_n\}$ is nonincreasing and converging to $p$, $p = \inf\{p_n : n\in \Bbb N\}$, so $p_n \ge p$ for all $n\in \Bbb N$. Consequently, as $f$ is nondecreasing, $f(p_n) \ge f(p)$. So we have $f(p_n) \ge f(p) \ge 0$.

Note that the inequalities above are not strict.

ok thanks a lot :) but I will ask one question : so, pn+1<=pn-f(p)...how this happened ?

ozkan12 said:
ok thanks a lot :) but I will ask one question : so, pn+1<=pn-f(p)...how this happened ?

I'm sorry, I don't understand -- where did you get $p_{n+1} \le p_n - f(p)$? This need not be true.

Euge said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand -- where did you get $p_{n+1} \le p_n - f(p)$? This need not be true.

ok :) I see my false :) I repair that :)

Related to Decreasing nonnegative sequence and nonincreasing functions

What is a nonnegative sequence?

A nonnegative sequence is a sequence of numbers that are all greater than or equal to zero. This means that the numbers in the sequence can be zero, positive, or possibly infinite.

What is a nonincreasing function?

A nonincreasing function is a function where the value of the function decreases or stays the same as the input increases. This means that the function is never increasing.

What is the relationship between a nonnegative sequence and a nonincreasing function?

A nonnegative sequence can be represented as a nonincreasing function, where the input values are the indices of the sequence and the output values are the terms in the sequence.

How can I determine if a sequence is nonnegative?

A sequence can be determined to be nonnegative if all of its terms are greater than or equal to zero. This can be checked by inspecting each term in the sequence.

Can a nonincreasing function have a decreasing interval?

No, a nonincreasing function will never have a decreasing interval. This is because the function is always decreasing or staying the same. If there is a decreasing interval, it would contradict the definition of a nonincreasing function.