Decimal Values of 8-bit Hexadecimal Number 0xD1 | Conversion Homework Solution

• Thread starter TranscendArcu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hexadecimal
In summary, the problem is to find the possible decimal values of the 8-bit hexadecimal number 0xD1. The attempt at a solution includes converting 0xD1 to decimal using the formula D1 = D*161 + 1 * 160 = 13*16 + 1 = 209. The other interpretation is to consider the most significant bit as reserved for sign, leading to a negative value of -1. Another way to interpret the number is as a complement, leading to a possible decimal value of 47. The question of whether the most significant bit is reserved for sign or not is also discussed.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Write all the possible decimal values (3 of them) of the 8-bit hexadecimal number 0xD1.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I can write that D1 = D*161 + 1 * 160 = 13*16 + 1 = 209

Can I also say that the most significant bit is reserved for sign? In that case, I think the D would indicate a negative value (is that right? What's the cutoff for positive/negative signed values in hexadecimal?) Thus, I would have: - (1 * 160) = -1

The only other interpretation I can think of is to say that D1 is a complement, so I'd have to convert to binary and then convert to decimal. So:

D1 = 1101 0001, then I take all the places where the value is zero and add. Doing so gives: 2 + 4 + 8 + 32 = 46

I also have to add one to 46, I believe. So my answer is 47. Is that so?

Physics news on Phys.org
"most significant bit reserved for sign"? What, exactly, is the statement of the problem? "Most significant bit" would refer to a memory location in a computer but the question you ask, converting a hexadecimal number to decimal, doesn't necessarily have anything to do with computers.

TranscendArcu said:

Homework Statement

Write all the possible decimal values (3 of them) of the 8-bit hexadecimal number 0xD1.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I also say that the most significant bit is reserved for sign? In that case, I think the D would indicate a negative value (is that right? What's the cutoff for positive/negative signed values in hexadecimal?) Thus, I would have: - (1 * 160) = -1
If the most significant bit is used for the sign, then looking at D in binary 1101, indicates that 0xD1 is the negative of 0x51 ...

I think there's another way to interpret this number for the negative case --- in which the representation sort of wraps around zero like a mod function. What do you need to add to 0xD1 to get 0x100 ? ... 47. That would make this -47.

Related to Decimal Values of 8-bit Hexadecimal Number 0xD1 | Conversion Homework Solution

What is hexadecimal conversion?

Hexadecimal conversion is the process of converting numbers from the base 10 (decimal) system to the base 16 (hexadecimal) system.

Why is hexadecimal used in computing?

Hexadecimal is used in computing because it is a more compact way of representing binary data. Each hexadecimal digit represents 4 binary digits, making it easier for computers to process and store large amounts of data.

How do you convert from decimal to hexadecimal?

To convert from decimal to hexadecimal, you can use the repeated division method. Divide the decimal number by 16 and record the remainder. Repeat this process with the quotient until the quotient is 0. The remainders, in reverse order, will give you the hexadecimal number.

What is the hexadecimal representation of the color black (#000000)?

The hexadecimal representation of the color black is #000000. In the hexadecimal color system, the first two digits represent the amount of red, the second two digits represent the amount of green, and the last two digits represent the amount of blue. Since there is no red, green, or blue in black, all three values are set to 0.

How is hexadecimal used in memory addressing?

In memory addressing, hexadecimal is used to represent memory addresses. This is because memory addresses are typically represented in binary, and hexadecimal is a more compact and human-readable way of representing binary numbers. This makes it easier for programmers to work with memory addresses and for computers to process them.