Dark Flow - accepted or theory?

• Thread starter Chaos' lil bro Order
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Theory
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of 'Dark Flow' and whether it is considered a fringe theory or not. The speaker, who has been away from cosmology for a while, is seeking to understand the current consensus on leading theories. Another speaker admits to being ignorant on the topic but mentions that previous claims of dark flow were refuted and it still remains speculative. The conversation ends with a suggestion to wait for the release of results from the Planck experiment for more clarity.
Chaos' lil bro Order
I am curious if 'Dark Flow' is considered a fringe theory or not. I have been away from cosmology for a while and am trying to pick up the general consensus of the community on the leading theories today. Thanks.

Space news on Phys.org
I'm speaking from a base of pretty much utter ignorance, but I seem to recall some time back that dark flow had been basically discovered to be an observational mistake ... or perhaps it was an interpretational mistake, but in any case I think the whole thing went away. If others have more correct information, I'll be happy to hear about it.

Dark flow still looks very speculative to me.

Okay, thank you.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0910.4233
The above link is a pretty strong refutation of the previous claims of dark flow. I am not sure what your definition of "fringe " is though. Planck should shed more light on this when it release results early next year.

Related to Dark Flow - accepted or theory?

What is Dark Flow?

Dark Flow is a hypothetical phenomenon in which galaxy clusters are observed to be moving in a uniform direction across the universe. This movement is in addition to the expected expansion of the universe, and suggests the presence of an external force pulling on these clusters.

Is Dark Flow accepted or just a theory?

Dark Flow is currently considered to be a theory, as it has not been definitively proven or observed. However, there is evidence from observations made by the Planck telescope that support the existence of this phenomenon.

What causes Dark Flow?

The exact cause of Dark Flow is still unknown and is a subject of ongoing research. Some theories suggest that it could be caused by gravitational interactions with matter outside of our observable universe, while others propose exotic particles or modifications to the laws of physics.

How is Dark Flow different from Dark Matter?

Dark Flow and Dark Matter are two separate concepts. Dark Flow refers to the observed movement of galaxy clusters, while Dark Matter refers to the invisible matter that scientists believe makes up a significant portion of the total mass in the universe.

What implications does Dark Flow have for our understanding of the universe?

If Dark Flow is proven to exist, it would challenge our current understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could also provide new insights into the nature of dark matter and the structure of the universe on a larger scale.