Damped vs Undamped Driven Springs and superposition?

In summary, the conversation discusses the modeling of undamped spring systems in a differential equations text. The derived equation for the system describes the superposition of two oscillations. The possibility of a damped system consisting of three oscillations is also considered, but it is determined that the addition of a damping constant would not introduce a third frequency. The conversation also touches on Euler's formula and the concept of linear combinations of solutions in a linear differential equation. It is noted that the amount of dampening can affect the specific form of the solution.
kostoglotov
Modeling driven undamped spring systems in my diff eqs text at the moment.

So I've just worked through the derivation of

[tex]x(t) = C\cos{(\omega_0t - \alpha)} + \frac{F_0/m}{\omega_0^2-\omega^2}\cos{\omega t}[/tex]

And it's clear that this describes the superposition of two different oscillations.

I was wondering, just off the top of my head, if a damped system would consist of the superposition of three different oscillations?

My immediate guess would be no, because you'd be solving the diff eq which included the addition of the damping constant multiplied by the first differential of motion, which would just give you a different complementary solution depending on whether it was underdamped, critically damped or overdamped. In the over and critically damped cases, the complementary solution is not sinusoidal, and so the nonhomogeneous driving force would have its own frequency, even though the particular solution would be solved by running a linear combination of sinusoids through the diff eq, this will not change the drivers frequency, just its phase shift...and solving the complementary function for the underdamped case also just produces sinusoids with the natural frequency and a phase shift, but at no point will a third frequency be introduced...is that about right? Is there anything else I should be considering?

Science news on Phys.org
I would first remind you of Euler's formula [itex]e^{i\theta}=\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)[/itex]. I bring this up because you will find that the dissipative aspect of dampening will introduce an exponential decay as a multiplicative factor. But this can simply be understood as a real component to the imaginary exponential we write a trig.

Another point is that you get a superposition of solutions because the (homogeneous) differential equation is linear so that linear combinations of solutions are also solutions. You get two independent solutions (before applying boundary/initial conditions) because you have a second order equation (acceleration = second time derivative of position and force is a function of position).

So you will get solutions of the form [itex] x(t)=e^{(-r+i\omega)t}=e^{-r t}(\cos(\omega t)+i\sin(\omega t))[/itex], representing a sinusoidal solution with decaying amplitude.
There are some additional particulars and cases based on the amount of dampening.

Haven fun.

Related to Damped vs Undamped Driven Springs and superposition?

1. What is a damped driven spring?

A damped driven spring refers to a spring system that is subjected to an external force while also experiencing damping, which is the frictional resistance that decreases the amplitude of the oscillations.

2. What is an undamped driven spring?

An undamped driven spring is a spring system that is subjected to an external force without any damping, allowing the oscillations to continue indefinitely with a constant amplitude.

3. How does damping affect the motion of a driven spring?

Damping decreases the amplitude of the oscillations and causes the spring to reach equilibrium faster, resulting in a shorter period of oscillation.

4. What is the principle of superposition in relation to driven springs?

The principle of superposition states that the overall motion of a driven spring can be determined by adding the individual motions caused by each external force acting on the system.

5. How does the amplitude of a driven spring change with superposition?

The amplitude of a driven spring changes with superposition by adding the amplitudes of each individual force, resulting in a larger or smaller amplitude depending on the direction and magnitude of the external forces.