Damped spring problem with laplace transform

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Laplace transform to find the equation of motion for a 4-pound weight released from a height of 15 inches above the equilibrium position. The resulting motion is affected by a damping force numerically equal to 7/8 times the instantaneous velocity, with acceleration due to gravity set at 32 ft/s^2. The correct equation of motion is given as -1/10e^(-7t/2)[7√(15)sin(√(15)t/2)+15cos(√(15)t/2)].
Sneakatone

Homework Statement

A 4-pound weight stretches a spring 2 feet. The weight is released from rest 15 inches above the equilibrium position, and the resulting motion takes place in a medium offering a damping force numerically equal to 7/8 times the instantaneous velocity. Use the Laplace transform to find the equation of motion x(t). (Use g = 32 ft/s2 for the acceleration due to gravity.)

Homework Equations

my''+(beta)y'+ky=0

m=4/32=1/8
beta=7/8
k=4/2=2

The Attempt at a Solution

1/8y''+7/8y'+2y=0, y(0)=-18, y'(0)=0

I know the answer which is:
-1/10e^(-7t/2)[7√(15)sin(√(15)t/2)+15cos(√(15)t/2)]
https://www.webassign.net/latexImages/5/f/f1c0fb013b3d1d7c4fddd1209a1d60.gif

but my awnser came out to be:
http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP104701e9a70abfi51f43a000045edi0bi5e950fi2?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=14&w=373.&h=45 .

which makes me fell like my y'(0) is incorrect. I would think that y'(0) would be a valid initial condition but the problem seem to not state anymore about velocity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sneakatone said:

Homework Statement

A 4-pound weight stretches a spring 2 feet. The weight is released from rest 15 inches above the equilibrium position, and the resulting motion takes place in a medium offering a damping force numerically equal to 7/8 times the instantaneous velocity. Use the Laplace transform to find the equation of motion x(t). (Use g = 32 ft/s2 for the acceleration due to gravity.)

Homework Equations

my''+(beta)y'+ky=0

m=4/32=1/8
beta=7/8
k=4/2=2

The Attempt at a Solution

1/8y''+7/8y'+2y=0, y(0)=-18, y'(0)=0

I know the answer which is:
-1/10e^(-7t/2)[7√(15)sin(√(15)t/2)+15cos(√(15)t/2)]
https://www.webassign.net/latexImages/5/f/f1c0fb013b3d1d7c4fddd1209a1d60.gif

but my awnser came out to be:
http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP104701e9a70abfi51f43a000045edi0bi5e950fi2?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=14&w=373.&h=45 .

which makes me fell like my y'(0) is incorrect. I would think that y'(0) would be a valid initial condition but the problem seem to not state anymore about velocity.
I take it the weight is released from 18 inches above the equilibrium point, not 15 inches like you typed above. The link to your answer doesn't work, but I suspect the problem is simply that you didn't specify y(0) in the correct units. The statement does say that the weight was released from rest, so your condition of y'(0) = 0 is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
my answer came out to be

y(x) = -6/5 e^(-7 x/2) (7 sqrt(15) sin((sqrt(15) x)/2)+15 cos((sqrt(15) x)/2))
which is different and yes the problem is suppose to be released at 18 not 15.

vela said:
I take it the weight is released from 18 inches above the equilibrium point, not 15 inches like you typed above. The link to your answer doesn't work, but I suspect the problem is simply that you didn't specify y(0) in the correct units. The statement does say that the weight was released from rest, so your condition of y'(0) = 0 is correct.
my answer came out to be
y(x) = -6/5 e^(-7 x/2) (7 sqrt(15) sin((sqrt(15) x)/2)+15 cos((sqrt(15) x)/2))
which is different. and yes the problem is suppose to be released at 18 not 15.

Unless you show your work, we can't figure out what you're doing wrong.

vela said:
Unless you show your work, we can't figure out what you're doing wrong.
sorry for the late reply but I found that the released spring distance was in inches so I just had to convert the 15 into ft.

Related to Damped spring problem with laplace transform

1. What is a damped spring problem?

A damped spring problem is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a spring that is attached to a mass and is subject to both damping (resistance) and an external force. It is often used in physics and engineering to understand and predict the behavior of mechanical systems.

2. How is the Laplace transform used in solving damped spring problems?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool that allows us to solve differential equations, such as the ones that describe damped spring problems. By transforming the differential equation into an algebraic one, we can easily solve for the unknown variables and obtain the solution for the damped spring problem.

3. What is the significance of the damping coefficient in a damped spring problem?

The damping coefficient represents the amount of resistance or friction that the spring experiences as it oscillates. A higher damping coefficient means that the spring will lose energy more quickly, resulting in a faster decrease in amplitude (height of oscillations) and a shorter period (time for one complete oscillation).

4. How does the natural frequency affect the behavior of a damped spring system?

The natural frequency is determined by the stiffness of the spring and the mass of the object attached to it. It represents the frequency at which the system would oscillate if there were no damping present. A higher natural frequency means that the system will oscillate more quickly, while a lower natural frequency results in slower oscillations.

5. Can the Laplace transform be used to solve damped spring problems with any type of damping?

Yes, the Laplace transform can be used to solve damped spring problems with any type of damping, including viscous (linear), Coulomb (static), and Hysteresis (nonlinear) damping. However, the resulting equations and solutions may vary depending on the type of damping present in the system.