D'Alembert operator is commute covariant derivative?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether or not ##\nabla_\mu\Box F_{ab} = \Box \nabla_\mu F_{ab}##, where ##F_{ab}## is the electromagnetic field tensor. The speaker suggests using the d'Alembert operator and its invariance to simplify the problem. They also mention using the commutator and recommend checking lecture notes by Carroll for further guidance. Finally, they guide the other person through the problem by asking them to think about metric compatibility, expanding commutators, and looking up the value of ##[\nabla_\mu,\nabla_\nu]## in any text on General Relativity.
dhalilsim
For example:

[itex] D_α D_β D^β F_ab= D_β D^β D_α F_ab

is true or not? Are there any books sources?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you are asking whether ##\nabla_\mu\Box F_{ab} = \Box \nabla_\mu F_{ab}##?
Here I wrote ##\Box = g^{\mu\nu}\nabla_\mu\nabla_\nu## following modern notation.

Have you tried finding the commutator? What is ##[ \nabla_\mu, \nabla_\nu]## equal too?

The (free) lecture notes by Carroll might have what you are looking for. At the least they introduce all you need to calculate the commutator. (I know the book that built on those does have the identities you need)

Likes dhalilsim and bcrowell
JorisL said:
So you are asking whether ##\nabla_\mu\Box F_{ab} = \Box \nabla_\mu F_{ab}##?
Here I wrote ##\Box = g^{\mu\nu}\nabla_\mu\nabla_\nu## following modern notation.

Have you tried finding the commutator? What is ##[ \nabla_\mu, \nabla_\nu]## equal too?

The (free) lecture notes by Carroll might have what you are looking for. At the least they introduce all you need to calculate the commutator. (I know the book that built on those does have the identities you need)
Very thanks to your reply.
Yes my question is whether or not
##∇_μ∇_ν∇^νF_{ab}=∇_ν∇^ν∇_μF_{ab}## where ##F_{ab}## is electromagnetic field tensor.
Can I simply think,
so d'Alembert operator ##∇_ν∇^ν## is invariant,
then Can I immediately write ##[∇_μ,\Box]=0##??

The easiest way to do this is the following ##[\nabla_\mu, \Box] = [\nabla_\mu,g^{\alpha\beta}\nabla_\alpha\nabla_\beta] = \ldots##
Now I'll try to guide you through this by asking you some other questions.

##\nabla_\mu g^{\alpha\beta}## is equal to ... (does metric compatibility ring a bell?)
If you use this you can write the first equation as ##g^{\alpha\beta}[\nabla_\mu,\nabla_\alpha\nabla_\beta]##.

Now we need to know how we can write a commutator of the form ##[A,BC]## in terms of ##[A,B]## and ##[A,C]##.
The easiest way to do this is expanding the total commutator and looking for the other commutators. It's a standard property that can be found in a lot of places.

Finally look up what ##[\nabla_\mu,\nabla_\nu]## is equal to. This can be found in every text on GR, here is a free link http://preposterousuniverse.com/grnotes/grnotes-three.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to D'Alembert operator is commute covariant derivative?

What is the D'Alembert operator?

The D'Alembert operator is a mathematical operator used in physics and differential geometry. It is typically denoted by □ or ∇² and is defined as the sum of the second partial derivatives of a function with respect to the coordinates of a given coordinate system.

What is the meaning of the term "commute" in regards to the D'Alembert operator and covariant derivative?

In mathematics, two operators are said to "commute" if their order of application does not affect the final result. In the case of the D'Alembert operator and covariant derivative, this means that the order in which they are applied to a function will not change the final outcome.

Why is it important that the D'Alembert operator and covariant derivative commute?

This is important because it allows for the simplification of calculations in physics and differential geometry. When two operators commute, their order of application can be changed without affecting the final result, making it easier to solve complex equations.

What are some practical applications of the D'Alembert operator and covariant derivative?

The D'Alembert operator and covariant derivative have many practical applications in physics and mathematics, particularly in fields such as general relativity, quantum mechanics, and differential geometry. They are used to study the behavior of waves, solve differential equations, and describe the curvature of space-time.

How does the D'Alembert operator relate to the wave equation?

The D'Alembert operator is a key component of the wave equation, which describes the behavior of waves in physics. It is used to calculate the second derivative of a function with respect to time, and is crucial in understanding the propagation of waves through various media.