Cylindrical capacitor with a dielectric

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of capacitance for a cylindrical capacitor with two shells and the introduction of a dielectric. The capacitance is calculated to be 2pi*epsilon_0*L/ln(b/a). The energy stored in the capacitor is also discussed, with the formula Q^2/2C. The calculation for the change in energy when removing the dielectric is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a clarification of an error in the first part of the calculation and an agreement on the correctness of the final answer.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I must calculate the capacitance of the following capacitor : A cylindrical capacitor made of 2 shells (not sure if shell is the right word in English. Made of 2 cylinders maybe), one of radius a and the other of radius b>a. It has a length of L.
We introduce entirely inside the capacitor a dielectric (whose permitivity is [tex]\varepsilon _0[/tex] of length d<L.

Then I must calculate the change of energy if we remove the dielectric.

Homework Equations

None given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first calculated the capacity of such a capacitor without dielectric.
[tex]V=\frac{Q}{C}=\int _a ^b \vec E d \vec l[/tex].
I'm looking for E : [tex]\oint \vec E d \vec A =4 \pi k Q \Rightarrow E \cdot 2 \pi rL=4\pi kQ \Rightarrow E=\frac{2kQ}{Lr}=\frac{Q}{2 \pi \varepsilon _0 Lr}[/tex].Hence [tex]\int _a^b \vec E d \vec l = \frac{Q}{2 \pi \varepsilon _0 L} \int _a^b \frac{dr}{r}=\frac{Q}{2 \pi \varepsilon _0 L} \ln \left ( \frac{b}{a} \right )=\frac{Q}{C}[/tex] from which [tex]C=\frac{2 \pi \varepsilon _0 L}{\ln \left ( \frac{b}{a} \right )}[/tex].
I see that I made an error, however I've been told it's right. (I know I made an error because of this website : http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/electric/capcyl.html)From what I've just done, I deduced that the answer to the original first question is [tex]\frac{2\pi \varepsilon _0}{\ln \left( \frac{b}{a} \right) } \cdot (L-d+ \kappa d)[/tex] which once again seemed to make the corrector agreed. (But it can't be right if I have made an error earlier).
For the second question I've wrote that the energy stored in a capacitor is [tex]\frac{Q^2}{2C}[/tex] and I wanted to find [tex]Q_i-Q_f[/tex] but I got it all wrong, a ? was marked by the professor. So how would I do it?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the capacitor is not connected to the source of emf, the charge doers not change when you remove the dielectric. Only capacitor changes and hence the energy changes.

Thanks!
Ok so for part 2) I'd just use the formula [tex]\frac{Q^2}{C_1}-\frac{Q^2}{C_0}[/tex] where [tex]C_1[/tex] is the capacitance with the dielectric and [tex]C_0[/tex] without it. Is that right?

Did you see my error in part 1) ? I cannot find it.

There is no error in the first part.

rl.bhat said:
There is no error in the first part.
Ah thank you. The discrepancy from hyperphysics can be explained that they can take k=1, so there's no discrepancy.
Thank you once again.

Related to Cylindrical capacitor with a dielectric

1. What is a cylindrical capacitor with a dielectric?

A cylindrical capacitor with a dielectric is an electronic component that stores electrical energy by using a cylindrical shape and a non-conducting material, called a dielectric, between its two conducting plates.

2. How does a cylindrical capacitor with a dielectric work?

A cylindrical capacitor with a dielectric works by creating an electric field between its two plates, which causes opposite charges to accumulate on each plate. The dielectric material helps to increase the capacitance, or the ability to store charge, by reducing the amount of electric field that is lost through the space between the plates.

3. What are the advantages of using a cylindrical capacitor with a dielectric?

One advantage of using a cylindrical capacitor with a dielectric is its ability to store more charge in a smaller space compared to other capacitor designs. It also has a lower risk of breakdown due to its cylindrical shape and the support provided by the dielectric material. Additionally, the use of a dielectric can increase the voltage rating and reduce the leakage current of the capacitor.

4. What types of dielectric materials are commonly used in cylindrical capacitors?

Some common dielectric materials used in cylindrical capacitors include air, paper, mica, ceramic, and plastic. The choice of dielectric material depends on the specific application and desired properties, such as dielectric constant, breakdown voltage, and temperature stability.

5. What are some real-world applications of cylindrical capacitors with a dielectric?

Cylindrical capacitors with a dielectric are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including power supplies, audio equipment, and communication systems. They are also commonly used in high voltage applications, such as in power grids and electric vehicles, to store and regulate large amounts of energy.