Current, Power dissipation in a cord

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power dissipated in an extension cord connected to an electric heater. The correct equation to use is P = I^2R, and the voltage drop across the cord is much less than the voltage drop across the heater. After correcting for these errors, the power dissipated in each wire of the cord is approximately 7 watts.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

An extension cord made of two wires of diameter 0.129 cm (no. 16 copper wire) and of length 1.2m (4ft ) is connected to an electric heater which draws 15.0A on a 120 V line. How much power is dissipated in the cord?

Homework Equations

P = IV
R = ρL / A
P = V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the power required by the heater.

P = (15.0 A)(120 V)
P = 1800 W

Next I wanted to find the power within the cords.

R = ρL / A
A = 6.45*10^-4 (∏)

R = 1.68*10^-8(1.2 m) / (6.45 * 10^-4)^2(∏)
R = 1.542*10^-2 Ω

P = V^2 / R
P = (120 V)^2 / (1.542*10^-2 Ω)

P = 9.338*10^5 W

I thought that was the power within the cords so next I:

9.388*10^5 W - 1800 W = 9.32 * 10^5 W.

Physics news on Phys.org
The heater operates at 1800 W. You would think the cord Pd would be much less. Need to determine resistance of copper wire given length and diameter. Consider both wires.

I thought the equation R = ρL/A considered the resistance of copper. Was this the incorrect equation to use?

Your main error is that the voltage drop across the cord is not 120 volts. That's the voltage drop across the heater. The voltage drop across the cord is much less. The current through each of the two wires of the cord is equal to the current through the heater. Use ohm's law to correctly calculate the potential drop across each of the wires of the cord. Or skip this step, and use P = I2R to get the power consumed in each wire of the cord.

Last edited:
Found the right answer to be ~7 W. Thank you.

As a check...

Resistance of No. 16 wire is about 4 Ohms per 1000 ft so 4ft would be 0.016 ohms.

However you have to double that because the length of wire is twice the length of the cord. So 0.032 Ohms round trip.

Power = I2 * R
= 152 * 0.032
= 7.2 W

Thank you CWatters. I got my exact answer to be 6.9 W which I rounded up to 7.

Related to Current, Power dissipation in a cord

What is current and power dissipation in a cord?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, such as a cord. Power dissipation is the rate at which energy is lost or consumed by a device, in this case, the cord.

How is current related to power dissipation in a cord?

Current and power dissipation are directly related. The higher the current flowing through a cord, the higher the power dissipation will be.

Why is power dissipation important to consider in a cord?

Power dissipation is important to consider in a cord because it can affect the performance and safety of the device. If the power dissipation is too high, it can lead to overheating and potentially cause damage or fire.

What factors affect the current and power dissipation in a cord?

The main factors that affect current and power dissipation in a cord are the voltage of the circuit, the resistance of the cord, and the length and thickness of the cord. These factors can all impact the flow of current and the amount of energy lost as heat.

How can the current and power dissipation in a cord be reduced?

The current and power dissipation in a cord can be reduced by using a cord with lower resistance, using a higher voltage in the circuit, or by using a thicker and shorter cord. Additionally, properly maintaining and avoiding overloading the cord can also help reduce current and power dissipation.