Current of Phasor going in CCW direction

In summary, the person is asking for clarification on how to invert the amplitude of a phasor and make it rotate in the opposite direction. They mention a 180-degree phase shift and a negative sign, and the other person explains that multiplying by -1 will achieve the desired result.
smstepanic
Hi,

I feel I have solved this problem correctly (solving for vo(t)), however since the current is going in the ccw direction, would this make the current -5cos(10t - 45) versus 5 cos(10t -45)? This may be a simple question, so I am just making sure. Thanks!

Attachments

• current.jpg
    current.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 437
Engineering news on Phys.org
smstepanic said:
Hi,

I feel I have solved this problem correctly (solving for vo(t)), however since the current is going in the ccw direction, would this make the current -5cos(10t - 45) versus 5 cos(10t -45)? This may be a simple question, so I am just making sure. Thanks!
Inverting the amplitude is the same as adding a 180-degree phase shift. To make the rotation direction different, you need a negative sign in a different place...

Likes smstepanic
berkeman said:
Inverting the amplitude is the same as adding a 180-degree phase shift. To make the rotation direction different, you need a negative sign in a different place...

I think I understand. A 180 degree phase shift would apply to the -45 degrees. So 5cos(10t + 135)?

smstepanic said:
I think I understand. A 180 degree phase shift would apply to the -45 degrees. So 5cos(10t + 135)?
Um, no, that's not what I meant.

Regardless of the problem you posted, if you want the phasor to rotate in the opposite direction, you need to multiply by -1 where in the equation? Think about how each term in the equation affects the function...

Likes smstepanic

Related to Current of Phasor going in CCW direction

What is a phasor in a CCW direction?

A phasor is a vector that represents the magnitude and phase of an alternating current (AC) or voltage. When drawn in a counterclockwise (CCW) direction, it signifies a positive phase angle.

How do you determine the direction of a phasor?

The direction of a phasor is determined by the direction of the alternating current or voltage it represents. In a CCW direction, the phasor will have a positive phase angle, while in a clockwise direction, it will have a negative phase angle.

What is the significance of a phasor going in a CCW direction?

A phasor going in a CCW direction indicates that the alternating current or voltage is leading the reference signal in a positive direction. This can be useful in analyzing the behavior of AC circuits and understanding the relationship between different components.

Can a phasor only go in a CCW direction?

No, a phasor can go in both CCW and clockwise directions. The direction of the phasor depends on the direction of the alternating current or voltage it represents.

How is a phasor going in a CCW direction represented mathematically?

A phasor going in a CCW direction is represented by a vector in the complex plane, with a positive imaginary component. It can also be represented by a complex number in polar form, with the magnitude as the modulus and the phase angle as the argument.