Current density and drift velocity

In summary, the conversation is discussing a vector equation J = ne(v), where J represents current density, n represents the number of carriers per unit volume for both positive and negative ions, and v represents the drift velocity. The electric field is downward and the ions have opposite drift velocities. To solve for v, the equation is J/ne. The question arises about why n is equal to the sum of n for positive and negative ions, and the explanation is that the current densities of both ions add together. The person is still unclear on why they add and not subtract, and when they would subtract.
auk411

Homework Statement

J = ne(v). (yes. it's a vector equation and I haven't indicated that, but just ignore that. It's not important to my question.)

Let's say you have some positive ions traveling downward, and some negative ions traveling upward. The electric field is downward. Let's say you also know J. You know n, the number of carriers per unit volume for the positive ions and negative ions (which need not be the same n for each one).

To solve for v, it's pretty clear that you simple need to do: J/ne.

One of the things that is tripping me up is that I'm supposed to know that n here equals:
n (for the positive ions) PLUS n (for the negative ions).

An equivalent statement (and supposed to be explanation) is that: The positive and negative singly charged ions have drift velocities in opposite directions, so their current densities ADD.

But I don't get it. Why do they add and not subtract? Secondly, when would they subtract?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at your earlier thread.

SammyS said:
Look at your earlier thread.

I did and more responses are needed.

Related to Current density and drift velocity

1. What is current density?

Current density is a measure of the amount of electric current flowing through a material per unit area. It is typically denoted by the symbol J and is expressed in units of amperes per square meter (A/m²).

2. How is current density related to drift velocity?

Current density and drift velocity are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the drift velocity of charged particles increases, the current density also increases.

3. What factors affect current density?

The main factors that affect current density are the material's electrical conductivity, the cross-sectional area of the material, and the amount of electric charge flowing through it.

4. How is current density measured experimentally?

Current density can be measured by using a device called an ammeter, which measures the electric current flowing through a circuit. The measured current can then be divided by the cross-sectional area of the material to determine the current density.

5. What are some real-world applications of current density and drift velocity?

Current density and drift velocity are important concepts in understanding the behavior of electric currents in various materials. They are used in the design and analysis of electronic devices, such as transistors and microchips, and in the study of materials' electrical properties.