Current Density and Charge Density in a loop of Wire

In summary, you need to use the Heaviside step function to properly define ##\mathbf{j}##. Once you clarify the orientation of the wire, you can give more input on how to formulate the problem.
Philosophaie
I am trying to formulate the Current Density for a Loop of wire with a diameter,d, current,I, and an cross-sectional Area of the wire ##\pi(d/2)^2##. With spherical coordinates (radial, azimuthal, polar)

##\bar j## = ##\frac{I}{\pi(d/2)^2}*cos \theta *sin \phi \hat x##
##+\frac{I}{\pi(d/2)^2}*sin \theta *sin \phi \hat y##
##+\frac{I}{\pi(d/2)^2}*cos \phi \hat z##

Charge Density, ##\rho=-grad . \bar j##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the loop in the x-y plane?

You will need to use the Heaviside step function ##H(x)## to properly define ##\mathbf{j}##. Once you clarify the orientation of the wire, we can give more input on how to formulate the problem.

Your definition of charge density is also incorrect. I think you meant
$$\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}=-\nabla\cdot\mathbf{j}$$

The loop is on the x-y plane radius a to the center of the wire away from the origin. The charge density starts at zero then a DC current is induced ramping up to a steady-state value which can be emulated by Heaviside step function H(x). Will the above Current and Charge Density be calculated as above?

No. You need to just build up ##\mathbf{j}## in spherical coordinates using step functions such that ##\mathbf{j}## is zero outside of the wire. Since the wire is cylindrical in shape this will be somewhat tricky. Am I correct in assuming that you are trying to define ##\mathbf{j}## in spherical coordinates given a known current ##I## through the wire?

NFuller said:
Since the wire is cylindrical in shape this will be somewhat tricky
How would I go about accounting for the distance,a, from the center of the coordinate system and the center of the circular loop accounting for ##\bar j## has to have the units of Amps/Area.

Philosophaie said:
How would I go about accounting for the distance,a, from the center of the coordinate system and the center of the circular loop accounting for ##\bar j## has to have the units of Amps/Area.
If the vector ##\mathbf{a}## points from the origin to the center of the wire and vector ##\mathbf{r}## points to a coordinate in space where you are evaluating ##\mathbf{j}(\mathbf{r})##, then the current density can be written as
$$\mathbf{j}(\mathbf{r})=\frac{4I}{\pi d^{2}}\;H(d/2-|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{a}|)$$
Now you just need to replace these vectors with their spherical coordinate representations.

This seems right except the units will be Amps/(unit length) instead of Amps/(unit length)^2 as is for Current Density. Does Heaviside function take care of this?

H=0 before induced current
H = (##\frac{d}{2}(\hat{\vec r -\vec a})+\vec a-\vec r##) after induced current

Last edited:
Philosophaie said:
This seems right except the units will be Amps/(unit length) instead of Amps/(unit length)^2 as is for Current Density. Does Heaviside function take care of this?
##H(\mathbf{r})## is dimensionless even though the argument does have dimensions of length. So the formula in post #6 has dimensions of Current/(length)^2.
Philosophaie said:
H = (##\frac{d}{2}(\hat{\vec r -\vec a})+\vec a-\vec r##) after induced current
I'm not sure how you got this. What do you get for ##|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{a}|## in spherical coordinates?

Related to Current Density and Charge Density in a loop of Wire

What is current density?

Current density is a measure of the amount of electric current flowing through a specific area of a material. It is represented by the symbol J and is measured in amperes per square meter (A/m²).

How is current density related to charge density?

Current density and charge density are closely related. Charge density (represented by the symbol ρ) is the amount of electric charge per unit volume of a material, while current density is the rate at which that charge is flowing through the material. In a loop of wire, the current density is equal to the charge density multiplied by the velocity of the charge carriers.

What factors affect the current density in a loop of wire?

The current density in a loop of wire is affected by the material of the wire, its cross-sectional area, the number of charge carriers, and the electric field applied to the wire. Additionally, the current density can be affected by external factors such as temperature and impurities in the wire.

How is current density calculated in a loop of wire?

The current density in a loop of wire can be calculated by dividing the total electric current flowing through the wire by the cross-sectional area of the wire. It can also be calculated by multiplying the charge density by the velocity of the charge carriers.

What are the units of current density and charge density?

The units of current density and charge density are both dependent on the units of electric current and electric charge. In the SI system, current density is measured in amperes per square meter (A/m²) and charge density is measured in coulombs per cubic meter (C/m³).