Cubic/cubic ->intercepts and asymptote(s)

• Thread starter slain4ever
  • Start date
In summary: No. The asymptotes are vertical lines x = A, x = B, and x = C, where A, B, and C are the solutions to the equation x3 - 3x2 + 4 = 0.
slain4ever

Homework Statement

Draw a careful sketch graph, showing and labelling all intercepts and asymptotes of:

y = (x^3 - 3x + 2) / (x^3 - 3x^2 + 4)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the y intercept is simple enough,
let x = 0
which leaves y = 2/4 = 1/2

Im not so sure about the x intercepts,

the asymptote I am guessing is going to be when x^3 - 3x^2 + 4 = 0
therefore asymptote at y = x^3 - 3x^2 + 4
right?

Physics news on Phys.org
slain4ever said:

Homework Statement

Draw a careful sketch graph, showing and labelling all intercepts and asymptotes of:

y = (x^3 - 3x + 2) / (x^3 - 3x^2 + 4)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the y intercept is simple enough,
let x = 0
which leaves y = 2/4 = 1/2

Im not so sure about the x intercepts,
The x-intercepts occur when the numerator is zero; IOW, when x3 - 3x + 2 = 0.
slain4ever said:
the asymptote I am guessing is going to be when x^3 - 3x^2 + 4 = 0
Yes, but there might be as many as three of them.
slain4ever said:
therefore asymptote at y = x^3 - 3x^2 + 4
right?
No. The asymptotes are vertical lines x = A, x = B, and x = C, where A, B, and C are the solutions to the equation x3 - 3x2 + 4 = 0.

I don't know for certain if there are three of them.

OP: when you say asymptotes, do you mean vertical asymptotes only? Because I believe there is a horizontal asymptote as well. Do you know how to find it?

And one more thing, if both cubics have a common factor (same root) then it is neither an asymptote nor a root at that x value.

i think we need all asymptotes, in class we have done angular asymptotes as well

slain4ever said:
i think we need all asymptotes, in class we have done angular asymptotes as well

Right, so can you find the horizontal asymptote then?

ok here's what i have as of now

y intercept is when x = 0; so y = 1/2
x .cepts are at x^3 - 3x + 2 = 0; so x = -2 and x = 1

from the graph I've drawn on my calc this looks about right

asymptotes at x^3 -3x^2 +4 = 0
which gives x = -1 and x = 2

but i have no idea how this relates to my graph because there is definitely no asymptotes at those lines.

so to answer your question; no, i have no idea how to find the asmymptotes

Ok so the vertical asymptotes are at x=-1,2 the x-intercepts are at x=-2,1 and to find the horizontal asymptotes, think about what happens as x approaches a really big positive or negative number, that is, evaluate [tex]\lim_{x\to \pm \infty}f(x)[/tex]

i think as x got to infin y would be 1
and as it got -infin y would be 1

oh i just realized i forgot to multiply the denominator x squared term by 3, so i retract my statement about there being no asymptotes at x=2 and x =-1 on the calculator graph

but i don't see why you all think there is a horizontal asymptote because at x=1 y=0 and at x<2 y>0

ive looked at the graph and realized that if you ignore the middle part x=-1 to 2 (or -1<x<2) there will in fact be an asymptote at y=1, is it still an asymptote though? i was taught nothing crosses an asymptote, and in this equation there are two values for y = 1and if it is counted as an asymptote, does "label all intercepts" include intercepts with the asymptote?

Last edited:
I was taught that a horizontal asymptote is an end behavior asymptote - the graph of a function with a horizontal asymptote will approach some y-value at the "ends" of the graph. (Now, some graphs will have a horizontal asymptote when you look at one "end" of the graph but not at the other "end" -- look at exponential functions, for instance.) So it is okay if a graph crosses its horizontal asymptote in the middle of the graph. The middle of the graph is not the left "end" or right "end" of the graph.

allright, so last question is, does where the graph cross the horizontal asymptote count as an 'intercept', and therefore should i include the values on my sketch?

No, it does not. The only "intercepts" here are the x and y intercepts- where the graph crosses the x and y axes.

The y intercepts are at (x, 0) where x satisifies [itex]x^3 - 3x + 2= 0[/itex]. It is easy to see, by inspection, that x= 1 is one root.

They vertical asymptotes are where the denominator is 0: [itex]x^3 - 3x^2 + 4[/itex] and it is easy to see that x= -1 is a root.

slain4ever said:
allright, so last question is, does where the graph cross the horizontal asymptote count as an 'intercept', and therefore should i include the values on my sketch?

I would only add that extra info in if there are a lot of marks for that question and it doesn't take too much time to do. In this case, it'll be relatively easy to find the x value of where the curve cuts the line y=1 since the solution is a root of a quadratic.

[tex]1=\frac{x^3-3x+2}{x^3-3x^2+4}[/tex]

[tex]x^3-3x^2+4=x^3-3x+2[/tex]

[tex]3x^2-3x-2=0[/tex]

However it isn't necessary.

Related to Cubic/cubic ->intercepts and asymptote(s)

1. What is a cubic function?

A cubic function is a polynomial function of degree 3, written in the form f(x)=ax^3+bx^2+cx+d, where a, b, c, and d are constants. It is called a cubic function because it has the highest degree of 3.

2. How do you find the x-intercepts of a cubic function?

To find the x-intercepts of a cubic function, set the function equal to 0 and solve for x. This will give you the x-values where the graph of the function crosses the x-axis. You can also use the quadratic formula to solve for the x-intercepts.

3. What are the y-intercepts of a cubic function?

The y-intercept of a cubic function is the value of the function when x=0. To find the y-intercept, substitute 0 for x in the function and solve for y.

4. How do you determine the number of x-intercepts a cubic function has?

The number of x-intercepts a cubic function has is equal to its degree. Since a cubic function has a degree of 3, it will have a maximum of 3 x-intercepts. However, it is possible for a cubic function to have less than 3 x-intercepts or no x-intercepts at all.

5. What is the asymptote of a cubic function?

A cubic function does not have a horizontal or vertical asymptote. However, it may have oblique asymptotes, which are lines that the graph of the function approaches but never touches. Oblique asymptotes occur when the degree of the numerator is one more than the degree of the denominator in a rational function.