Creating shortcut for a c application

In summary: For Windows 7 or 8, batch files are launched by right-clicking on a file and selecting open with, then selecting the program to launch from the list.
kthouz
Hi!
I'm now learning to write programs with c codes. But always when we run those programs we firstly go throught their algorithm's codes (i mean IDE screen). So is it possible to run a program without seeing those codes? I mean go directly to the DOS. Or is it possible to create "shortcut" for those programs. if yes just tell me how?
Thank you!

Technology news on Phys.org
Yes. The compiler creates an exe and stores it on the hard disk. If you are using Turbo C, it will be in C:\program files\TC\bin , perhaps. For other IDEs it may be in the "projects" folder.

changing icon for a c progrm

Google_Spider said:
Yes. The compiler creates an exe and stores it on the hard disk. If you are using Turbo C, it will be in C:\program files\TC\bin , perhaps. For other IDEs it may be in the "projects" folder.
Thanks. i found them.
And now am tryin to change their icon using windows like i do for any other program(right click on the item>properties>change icon) but it can't work.
Is there anything else i need to know?

kthouz said:
Thanks. i found them.
And now am tryin to change their icon using windows like i do for any other program(right click on the item>properties>change icon) but it can't work.
Is there anything else i need to know?

Writing good code is more important than making eye-candy icons.:wink:
Actually I don't know how to do it :-p

Click on start, right click on all programs. Create a new folder. Double click on the new folder to open it. Right click on folder window and select new, shortcut. Search for your program (the .exe) file. If the program has an icon in it, it will automatically get picked up. If there are parameters, add them after the name of the program when creating the shortcut. Click on next and change the name if you want.

If you didn't get an icon for the shortcut, right click on the shortcut, and click on change icon, and again, fine the .ico file for your program. Windows will start off with the generic set of icons from some .DLL file. You can pick up icons from .DLL files, .EXE files, or .ICO files.

Note that this same process can also be used to create shortcuts to .BAT file to run command scripts. For Windows XP or Vista batch files, prefxing a program path and name with start, such as

start \myfolder\myprogram1.exe
start \myfolder\myprogram2.exe

allows multiple programs or multiple instances of a program to be launched with a single shortcut to a batch file.

Last edited:

Related to Creating shortcut for a c application

1. How do I create a shortcut for a C application on my desktop?

To create a shortcut for a C application on your desktop, follow these steps: 1. Right-click on the desktop and select "New" and then "Shortcut". 2. In the "Type the location of the item" field, enter the file path of your C application. 3. Click "Next" and enter a name for the shortcut. 4. Click "Finish" and the shortcut will be created on your desktop.

2. Can I create a shortcut for a C application on a different location other than my desktop?

Yes, you can create a shortcut for a C application on any location you choose. Simply right-click on the desired location and follow the same steps as above to create the shortcut.

3. How can I change the icon of the shortcut for my C application?

To change the icon of the shortcut for your C application, right-click on the shortcut and select "Properties". In the "Shortcut" tab, click on "Change Icon" and select the desired icon. Click "OK" to save the changes.

4. Can I assign a keyboard shortcut to my C application shortcut?

Yes, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to your C application shortcut by right-clicking on the shortcut and selecting "Properties". In the "Shortcut" tab, click on the "Shortcut key" field and press the desired key combination. Click "OK" to save the changes.

5. How do I delete a shortcut for my C application?

To delete a shortcut for your C application, simply right-click on the shortcut and select "Delete". Confirm the deletion and the shortcut will be removed from your desktop or chosen location.