Creating a Website: Security & Server Setup

• Thread starter bhaazee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses creating a website for a local town and the security concerns surrounding it. It is mentioned that there are hosting services available for those who do not have their own server. The discussion also highlights the importance of using strong passwords and being cautious of social engineering attempts. The possibility of a man-in-the-middle attack is also mentioned.
bhaazee
Hallo Friends,
I am actually a mechanical Engineer and have least knowledge on Computer Science.

My doubt is, say I wish to create a website for my local town to interact with people of that town for discussing various issues. Do I need a server to store the information that are being generated due to interactive activities.

How can I define the security level of the website with regard to hacking?

Regards
Bharath Duraiswamy.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You don't need your own server, there are hosting services (both free and paid) that will rent server space for you.

This question is not asked for the first time - see https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=292464 for example. There were more threads, I just can't find them now.

Try to google for "free web hosting" you will get more information than you need.

bhaazee said:
How can I define the security level of the website with regard to hacking?

Use a strong password to protect root access to your server or rented server space.

Thank you Guys for ur replies.

However, I can't understand with reply from "fss"

We are living in the world of anonymous. HB Gary is carrying out security Services for US Army and their root servers got hacked. Also his twitter account. Do you think just because the password for the root servers was not strong enough it got hacked?

bhaazee said:
However, I can't understand with reply from "fss"

We are living in the world of anonymous. HB Gary is carrying out security Services for US Army and their root servers got hacked. Also his twitter account. Do you think just because the password for the root servers was not strong enough it got hacked?

HBGary was hacked due to a combination of using poorly-written, third-party software and social engineering. Assuming you are using widely available, well-written software on your server, have a strong password, and are wary of social engineering attempts to gain unauthorized access, you will not have any problems you could prevent otherwise.

Oh! Thank you fss.

BTW! I have one more doubt regarding the security issue.
Consider that there are two websites A and B.
Now in order to get some activity of 'B' processed, a request from 'A' has to be sent.

Now assume a request is being sent from 'A' to 'B'. Is there a possibility that I as a third party can look into the contents of "request" and redefine the contents such that the request gets changed from the intended one?

Thnx.

bhaazee said:
BTW! I have one more doubt regarding the security issue.
Consider that there are two websites A and B.
Now in order to get some activity of 'B' processed, a request from 'A' has to be sent.

Now assume a request is being sent from 'A' to 'B'. Is there a possibility that I as a third party can look into the contents of "request" and redefine the contents such that the request gets changed from the intended one?

Yes, but that possibility exists if you have more than one intermediate device between points A and B anyways. What you are describing is a classic man-in-the-middle attack.

THnax once again.

Related to Creating a Website: Security & Server Setup

1. How can I secure my website from potential cyber attacks?

There are several steps you can take to secure your website from cyber attacks. First, make sure to update your software and plugins regularly to prevent vulnerabilities. You should also use a strong and unique password for your website's admin account. Additionally, consider implementing a web application firewall and using HTTPS instead of HTTP to encrypt data.

2. What is the best server setup for a secure website?

The best server setup for a secure website will depend on your specific needs and budget. However, some key components to consider include a dedicated server or virtual private server (VPS), a reputable hosting provider, and a secure file transfer protocol (SFTP) for file management. It is also important to regularly backup your website's data and have a disaster recovery plan in place.

3. Should I use a Content Management System (CMS) or code my website from scratch for better security?

Both options have their pros and cons in terms of security. Using a CMS like WordPress or Drupal can provide regular security updates and a community of developers working to fix vulnerabilities. However, coding your website from scratch can give you more control over security measures. Ultimately, it is important to regularly update and secure your website regardless of the platform you choose.

4. How can I protect my website's sensitive data?

To protect sensitive data on your website, you should first identify what data needs to be protected and where it is stored. Utilize encryption methods to protect data in transit and at rest, and consider implementing database security measures such as access controls and data masking. It is also important to regularly audit and monitor your website's data for any potential breaches.

5. What are some common security risks for websites?

Some common security risks for websites include cross-site scripting (XSS) attacks, SQL injections, and brute force attacks on login pages. Other risks include outdated software, weak passwords, and lack of secure hosting. It is important to regularly assess your website for potential vulnerabilities and take necessary steps to mitigate these risks.