Crack the Code: Understanding Electro Optic with Expert Answers

In summary, the 1550 nm fiberoptic systems are more popular due to less attenuation, the approximate loss of present day systems is 0.4 dB/km at 850nm and 0.2 dB/km at 1550nm, phase difference cannot be measured electronically due to the differences between light and electronic signals, and a laser source is recommended for fiber optic sensors due to its stability and coherence.
onqun
Hello guys I am taking electro optic this semester. . I had a quiz last friday. I could not do couple of questions.

1.The reason of the 1550 nm fiberoptic systems are more populer than 1300nm is, 1550 has less attenuation?

2.What is the aprroximate value of the loss of present day fiber optic systems in terms of db/km at 850nm and 1550nm?

3. why can we not measure the phase difference between two light beams electronically.

4. I have fiber optic sensor which is extremely high sensitive. What kind of light source should I use and why?

interferometric sensor, and I said Laser source but i don't know why

Well thanks a lot if you help me to solve these questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes, 1550 nm fiberoptic systems are generally more popular than 1300nm because the 1550nm has less attenuation which results in greater transmission efficiency. 2. The approximate loss of present day fiber optic systems at 850nm is about 0.4 dB/km, and at 1550nm it is about 0.2 dB/km.3. We cannot measure the phase difference between two light beams electronically because the phase of a light beam is a continuous value, whereas electronic signals are discrete.4. You should use a laser source for your fiber optic sensor because lasers provide a highly concentrated and coherent light source which is ideal for interferometric sensors. Laser light is also very stable, so it can be used to measure small changes with high accuracy.

Related to Crack the Code: Understanding Electro Optic with Expert Answers

1. What is electro-optics?

Electro-optics is a branch of physics and engineering that deals with the study and application of electronic devices, systems, and materials that manipulate light.

2. How does electro-optic technology work?

Electro-optic technology works by using electric fields to change the refractive index of a material, which in turn alters the way light passes through it. This can be used to control the polarization, phase, or intensity of light, allowing for various applications such as optical communications, displays, and sensors.

3. What are some common applications of electro-optics?

Some common applications of electro-optics include telecommunications, laser technology, holography, optical data storage, and medical imaging.

4. What are the advantages of using electro-optic devices?

The advantages of using electro-optic devices include high speed, precision, and reliability. They also have a wide range of applications and can be easily integrated into existing technology.

5. What are the current challenges facing electro-optic research?

Some current challenges facing electro-optic research include developing more efficient and cost-effective materials, improving device performance and reliability, and integrating electro-optic technology with other fields such as nanotechnology and quantum computing.