Courses in Quantum Computing at Waterloo, IQC & Perimeter

In summary, you should apply to the IQC and Perimeter Institute and look into the career aspect if you are interested in it.
observer20
Hey ,
I want to know about the courses in quantum computing at univ. of waterloo or IQC or perimiter institure for international students and also the procedure and other formalities to apply there??I have done masters in physics and currently having a 2 year IT exp. under my belt. i want to go for MS or a PHd course there...there is also somethin like co-op course?What about the funding and scholarships there??Pls guide for the same...Thanks in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org

Have you checked for their website? I think that you should contact some professors first before you apply for it. I have recently applied for it cos a prof there thinks that I am a good candidate for his team.

To study in the IQC, you will need to apply for one home department AND the IQC. Home departments are listed in the webpage:
http://www.iqc.ca/positions/graduate/index.php
I think that you can only get a degree in your home department but not the IQC. If you only want to take courses, you may want to apply for a MS and take their course.

The Perimeter Institute is a little bit hard to get in as I know. Anyway, the deadline of the PSI program of Perimeter Institute is already passed this year. You may apply it next year. You should be able to get scholarship if you are accepted by their program.

I am not quite sure about it, so check it yourself.

I have checked their website but dint get the required information...what about your academic backgroud?r u also interested in the physics part of quantum computing?n how about the career aspects of this course?I am really getting a 50-50 situation for it...

I have background in Physics, plus some Maths and CS. I am interested in the theoretical part of quantum computing, maybe physics, but not decide yet.

For the career aspect, I do not know too much about it. Don't you find this field interesting? Surely, academic is certainly one of them, you should notice that many papers have mentioned that their result is useful for quantum computer. And I bet that quantum computing will be useful in the future once a working prototype is created. Also, there is already some companies providing quantum encryption for secure communication between banks. More such company will appear in the future. Though, it is not very obviously when it will happen.

I also want to know more information about this field.

morphemera said:
I have background in Physics, plus some Maths and CS. I am interested in the theoretical part of quantum computing, maybe physics, but not decide yet.

For the career aspect, I do not know too much about it. Don't you find this field interesting? Surely, academic is certainly one of them, you should notice that many papers have mentioned that their result is useful for quantum computer. And I bet that quantum computing will be useful in the future once a working prototype is created. Also, there is already some companies providing quantum encryption for secure communication between banks. More such company will appear in the future. Though, it is not very obviously when it will happen.

I also want to know more information about this field.

Yes you are right..right now no one can tell about its future..so far things are goin good for this field. I have talked to people who have joined this field few years back and just because of less career options they were forced to drop this. No doubt, this field is a very interesting and exciting one.

Related to Courses in Quantum Computing at Waterloo, IQC & Perimeter

1. What is quantum computing?

Quantum computing is a field of computer science and physics that uses quantum-mechanical phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform operations on data. This allows for the potential of solving certain computational problems much faster than classical computers.

2. What courses are offered in quantum computing at Waterloo, IQC, and Perimeter?

Waterloo, IQC, and Perimeter offer a variety of courses in quantum computing, including introductory courses such as "Introduction to Quantum Information Processing" and more advanced courses such as "Quantum Algorithms and Complexity."

3. Can anyone take these courses or do I need a specific background?

While some courses may have prerequisites, such as a basic understanding of linear algebra and quantum mechanics, many courses in quantum computing at Waterloo, IQC, and Perimeter are open to anyone interested in learning about the field. It is recommended to have a strong background in mathematics and computer science for more advanced courses.

4. Are these courses available online or do I need to attend in person?

Some courses may be available online, but many are only offered in person at Waterloo, IQC, and Perimeter. It is best to check with the specific institution for more information on the availability of online courses.

5. How can I apply for courses in quantum computing at Waterloo, IQC, and Perimeter?

To apply for courses in quantum computing at Waterloo, IQC, and Perimeter, you can visit their respective websites and follow their application process. Some courses may require an application, while others may be open for enrollment without an application.