Courses/Books Recommended for Metamaterial Research?

In summary, a first year college student is shadowing a grad student in a nano-optics research group to learn about microfabrication. They plan on conducting their own research and were considering reading Optics by Hetcht but are unsure of what else they would need to know. They were suggested to try a Google search for a textbook on metamaterials and microfabrication.
ElPimiento
I'm a first year student in college and I've started shadowing under a grad student, who's in a nano-optics research group (http://www.nanoscience.ucf.edu/chanda/), in order to learn about microfabrication. I'd like to start conducting my own research soon; however, i don't know exactly what it is I'd need to know to start. I was planning on reading Optics by Hetcht, beyond that I don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Courses/Books Recommended for Metamaterial Research?

1. What are some recommended courses for studying metamaterial research?

Some recommended courses for studying metamaterial research include electrodynamics, optics, materials science, and wave physics. These courses provide a foundation in the principles and concepts behind metamaterials, and may also cover the design and fabrication techniques used in their creation.

2. Are there any online courses available for learning about metamaterial research?

Yes, there are several online courses available for learning about metamaterial research, such as "Metamaterials: Fundamentals and Applications" offered by Coursera and "Introduction to Metamaterials" offered by edX. These courses provide a flexible and convenient way to learn about metamaterials from anywhere in the world.

3. What are some recommended books for studying metamaterial research?

Some recommended books for studying metamaterial research include "Metamaterials: Physics and Engineering Explorations" by Nader Engheta and Richard W. Ziolkowski, "Metamaterials Handbook" edited by Filippo Capolino, and "Metamaterials: A New Frontier of Science and Technology" edited by Nader Engheta and Richard W. Ziolkowski. These books cover a wide range of topics related to metamaterials and can serve as comprehensive references for researchers and students.

4. Are there any specific resources for learning about metamaterial design and fabrication techniques?

Yes, there are several resources available for learning about metamaterial design and fabrication techniques. These include online tutorials and workshops, specialized textbooks, and research papers. It is also recommended to attend conferences and workshops focused on metamaterials to learn about the latest developments and techniques in the field.

5. What are some important skills to have for conducting metamaterial research?

Some important skills for conducting metamaterial research include a strong background in mathematics, physics, and materials science, as well as proficiency in computer-aided design and simulation software. It is also important to have critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work independently and in a team. Strong communication and technical writing skills are also essential for presenting research findings and publishing papers in the field.