Counterexample where X is not in the Lebesgue linear space.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an example where X is not in the Lebesgue linear space, but the probability of |X| approaching infinity is 0. The conversation also mentions using the geometric random variable as a potential solution.
mehr1methanol
Example where X is not in the Lebesgue linear space.

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find an example where [itex] \lim_{n \to +\infty} P(|X|>n) = 0 [/itex] but [itex]X \notin L[/itex] where [itex]L[/itex] is the Lebesgue linear space.

Relevant equations:

[itex]X[/itex] is a random variabel, [itex]P[/itex] is probability. [itex]I[/itex] is indicator function.

The attempt at a solution

[itex]∫|X|I(|X|>n)dp + ∫|X|I(|X|≤n)dp = ∫|X|dp [/itex]

[itex]∫nI(|X|>n)dp + ∫|X|I(|X|)dp ≤ ∫|X|dp[/itex]

Suppose [itex]∫I(|X|>n)dp = 1/(n ln n) [/itex]
Clearly the hypothesis is satisfied because [itex] \lim_{n \to +\infty} P(|X|>n) = \lim_{n \to +\infty} ∫I(|X|>n)dp = \lim_{n \to +\infty} 1/( ln n) = 0[/itex]
But I'm not sure how to conclude [itex]∫|X|dp = ∞[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is due tomorrow. Please help!

Does geometric random variable work?

Related to Counterexample where X is not in the Lebesgue linear space.

1. What is a counterexample in the context of Lebesgue linear space?

A counterexample is a specific example or instance that disproves a general statement or theorem. In the context of Lebesgue linear space, a counterexample is a specific element or set that does not satisfy the properties of a Lebesgue linear space, thus showing that the statement or theorem does not hold in all cases.

2. How is a counterexample used in mathematics?

In mathematics, a counterexample is used to demonstrate that a general statement or theorem is not universally true. By providing a specific example that goes against the statement, mathematicians can identify where the statement fails and work towards refining or expanding the theory.

3. Can you give an example of a counterexample in Lebesgue linear space?

Yes, a simple counterexample in Lebesgue linear space is the set of all irrational numbers. This set does not satisfy the closure property of a Lebesgue linear space, as adding two irrational numbers together may result in a rational number, which is not part of the set. Therefore, this set is not a Lebesgue linear space.

4. Why are counterexamples important in mathematics?

Counterexamples are important in mathematics because they help identify the limitations of a theory or statement. By finding examples that go against the statement, mathematicians can refine and improve the theory to make it more accurate and applicable in a wider range of cases.

5. Are counterexamples always used to disprove statements?

No, counterexamples can also be used to prove statements. In some cases, a single counterexample can show that a statement is true in all other cases. For example, a counterexample that disproves a statement for all positive integers except for 2 can be used to prove that the statement is true for all positive integers greater than or equal to 2.