Counterexample where X is not in the Lebesgue linear space.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a counterexample where the limit of the probability of a random variable X being greater than n approaches 0, but X is not in the Lebesgue linear space. The conversation also considers the implications of this scenario and the use of a Lebesgue linear space, such as L_p space with p = 2.
mehr1methanol
I'm trying to find a counterexample where [itex] \lim_{n \to +\infty} P(|X|>n) = 0 [/itex] but [itex]X \notin L[/itex] where [itex]L[/itex] is the lebesgue linear space.

[itex]∫|X|I(|X|>n)dp + ∫|X|I(|X|≤n)dp = ∫|X|dp [/itex] therefore

[itex]∫nI(|X|>n)dp + ∫|X|I(|X|)dp ≤ ∫|X|dp[/itex]

Suppose [itex]∫I(|X|>n)dp = 1/(n ln n) [/itex]
Clearly the hypothesis is satisfied because [itex] \lim_{n \to +\infty} P(|X|>n) = \lim_{n \to +\infty} ∫I(|X|>n)dp = \lim_{n \to +\infty} 1/( ln n) = 0[/itex]
But I'm not sure how to conclude [itex]∫|X| = ∞[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mehr1methanol said:
I'm trying to find a counterexample where [itex] \lim_{n \to +\infty} P(|X|>n) = 0 [/itex] but [itex]X \notin L[/itex] where [itex]L[/itex] is the lebesgue linear space.

Make another try at stating your question. What is [itex] X [/itex] ? Does the use of [itex] P(|X| > n) = 0 [/itex] imply that [itex] X [/itex] is a random variable? What "lebesgue linear space" are you talking about? [itex] L_p [/itex] space? [itex] p = 2 [/itex]?

Related to Counterexample where X is not in the Lebesgue linear space.

1. What is a Lebesgue linear space?

A Lebesgue linear space is a mathematical concept in which a set of objects (usually functions) can be combined using linear operations such as addition and scalar multiplication. These spaces have properties that allow for the rigorous study of functions and their behaviors.

2. Can you explain the concept of a counterexample?

A counterexample is an example that disproves a statement or theory. In the context of a Lebesgue linear space, a counterexample would be a set of objects that do not satisfy the properties of a Lebesgue linear space, therefore showing that the statement or theory does not hold in all cases.

3. Why would a counterexample be important in a Lebesgue linear space?

Counterexamples are important because they allow us to identify limitations or exceptions to a theory. In the case of a Lebesgue linear space, studying counterexamples can help us better understand the properties and behaviors of functions and their relationships within the space.

4. What would be an example of a counterexample where X is not in the Lebesgue linear space?

An example of a counterexample where X is not in the Lebesgue linear space would be a set of functions that are not closed under scalar multiplication. This means that when a function in the set is multiplied by a scalar, the resulting function is not part of the set. This violates one of the properties of a Lebesgue linear space and therefore, X is not in the space.

5. How can understanding counterexamples improve our understanding of Lebesgue linear spaces?

Studying counterexamples can help us identify the limitations and exceptions within a Lebesgue linear space, which in turn can lead to a deeper understanding of its properties and behaviors. This can also help us develop new theories and concepts to better describe and analyze functions within the space.