Coordinate transformations in gr

In summary: In general relativity, given the physical situation in which one frame of reference moves with uniform curvilinear motion one with respect to another frame of reference (for instance), which are the coordinate transformations between the two systems? Are there closed forms for such transformations in the general case (i.e. motion described by generic equations without any particular regularity)?I don't understand why you're switching to talking about rotations. Anyway, there is no such thing as a global rotation transformation in GR that is defined on all spacetimes.
cndcnd
Hi,

My question is the following. In special relativity, the Lorentz transformations correspond to a physical situation in which two frames of reference move with uniform rectilinear motion one with respect to the other. In general relativity, given the physical situation in which one frame of reference moves with uniform curvilinear motion one with respect to another frame of reference (for instance), which are the coordinate transformations between the two systems? Are there closed forms for such transformations in the general case (i.e. motion described by generic equations without any particular regularity) ?

Thanks,

Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, cndcnd,

Welcome to PF!

General relativity doesn't have global frames of reference. Therefore there is nothing like the Lorentz transformation that works in an arbitrarily specified spacetime in GR.

-Ben

Let me reformulate the question in a more rigorous way. In a flat spacetime (no matter in the whole universe), for two frames moving of uniform rectilinear motion one with respect to the other, the classical transformations are: x'=x+vt, y'=y, z'=z, t'=t and the relativistic transformations are the Lorentz transformations.

For two frames one rotating around the other (in the xy plane), the classical transformations are: x'=rcos(vt)+x, y'=rsin(vt)+y, z'=z,t'=t. Which are the corresponding relativistic transformations?

bcrowell said:
Hi, cndcnd,

Welcome to PF!

General relativity doesn't have global frames of reference. Therefore there is nothing like the Lorentz transformation that works in an arbitrarily specified spacetime in GR.

-Ben

A globally defined Lorentz transformation ;) Of course, local Lorentz transformations are well-defined, as is clear when you describe GR in terms of vielbeins and spin connections.

cndcnd said:
For two frames one rotating around the other (in the xy plane), the classical transformations are: x'=rcos(vt)+x, y'=rsin(vt)+y, z'=z,t'=t. Which are the corresponding relativistic transformations?

I don't understand why you're switching to talking about rotations. Anyway, there is no such thing as a global rotation transformation in GR that is defined on all spacetimes.

Ok, let’s say I want to perform the following experiment. I have two clocks here on earth, perfectly synchronised. Then I put one clock on a plane which flies around the Earth for 1 week. When the plane lands, I want to calculate what is the discrepancy between the two clocks. Let’s assume for simplicity to ignore the contribution of the space-time curvature induced by the mass of the earth.

Since the Lorentz transformations are only valid for systems moving with rectilinear uniform motion one with respect to the other, how do I calculate the slow-down effect occurring during the phases of acceleration (take of) and deceleration (landing) of the plane and also during the flight (the trajectory is curvilinear) ?

Thanks

Related to Coordinate transformations in gr

1. What are coordinate transformations in general relativity (GR)?

Coordinate transformations in GR refer to the mathematical process of converting coordinates in one coordinate system to another. In this context, it is used to describe the relationship between different reference frames or coordinate systems in the theory of general relativity.

2. Why are coordinate transformations important in GR?

In GR, the laws of physics should be independent of the choice of coordinates. Therefore, coordinate transformations are important in order to describe physical phenomena in different reference frames and to ensure that the laws of physics remain valid in all coordinate systems.

3. What is the role of the metric tensor in coordinate transformations in GR?

The metric tensor plays a crucial role in coordinate transformations in GR as it defines the distance and angle measurements in the spacetime. It is used to transform the coordinates between different reference frames and also to calculate the curvature of the spacetime.

4. How are coordinate transformations represented mathematically in GR?

In GR, coordinate transformations are represented by the use of tensor equations. These equations involve the metric tensor, Christoffel symbols, and other tensors to express the relationship between coordinates in different reference frames.

5. Are there any limitations to coordinate transformations in GR?

Coordinate transformations in GR have limitations in situations where the spacetime is highly curved or in the presence of strong gravitational fields. In these cases, more complex mathematical techniques, such as perturbation theory, may be required to accurately describe coordinate transformations.