Converging Series Homework: Can't Prove It!

In summary, the conversation discusses using the comparison test to determine the convergence of three series: sin(2^n)/2^n, ncosn/(n^3 + logn), and (logn)^4/n^2. The speaker is confident that the first two series converge, but is unsure about the third. The conversation also mentions using a trick to manipulate the numerator and denominator in the comparison test and the fact that log(n)/n^p goes to zero as n->infinity for all p>0.
Mattofix

Homework Statement

I have done really well previous to these questions but i don't have a clue where to start any of them.

Do these converge?

i) Sum from n=1 to infinty of sin(2^n)/2^n

ii) Sum from n=1 to infinty of ncosn/(n^3 + logn)

iii) Sum from n=1 to infinty of (logn)^4/n^2

Homework Equations

Use comparison test but i can't get it them in a simple form or definitely prove it.

The Attempt at a Solution

i) yes

ii)yes

iii)unsure

No proof though...hmmmm...

Physics news on Phys.org
You must have some reason for the yes answer on i) and ii). What is it? Remember in the comparison test you can do anything to the numerator that makes it larger and anything to the denominator that makes it smaller (in absolute value). If the resulting series converges, so does the original series. Now what's a nice round number that is greater than sin(2^n)?

beutiful man - got that one - how about the other 2?

Same trick n/n^3>cos(n)*n/(n^3+log(n)). The third is a little trickier. Do you know that log(n)/n^p goes to zero as n->infinity for all p>0?

Related to Converging Series Homework: Can't Prove It!

What is a converging series?

A converging series is a type of infinite series where the sum of the terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. This means that the series will eventually reach a point where the sum of the terms will not change significantly with the addition of more terms.

How do I determine if a series is convergent?

To determine if a series is convergent, you can use various tests such as the integral test, comparison test, or ratio test. These tests involve examining the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases and can help determine if the series will eventually converge or not.

What if I can't prove that a series is convergent?

If you are unable to prove that a series is convergent, it may be helpful to use a convergence test to determine the behavior of the series. If the series is found to be divergent, this could indicate that the series does not have a finite sum and may not be able to be proven as convergent.

What are some common mistakes when working with converging series?

Some common mistakes when working with converging series include incorrectly applying convergence tests, not considering the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases, and not accounting for all terms in the series. It is important to carefully consider all aspects of the series to accurately determine if it is convergent or not.

Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. A series is either one or the other. If a series is found to be both convergent and divergent, this would indicate an error in the calculations or an incorrect application of convergence tests.