Convergence of sin(x/n) in A[0,pi]

• Thread starter desaila
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, the conversation revolves around showing that the sequence of real-valued functions fn(x) = sin(x/n) converges uniformly to f(x) = 0 on the interval A = [0, pi]. The participants discuss various approaches, such as using Euler's formula and the definition of uniform convergence, to prove this statement. Ultimately, it is agreed that as n goes to infinity and x/n goes to zero for all x on [0, pi], the function fn(x) approaches zero and thus converges uniformly to f(x) on A.
desaila

Homework Statement

Show that the sequence real-valued functions fn(x) = sin(x/n) converges uniformly to f(x) = 0 on A=[0,pi]

Homework Equations

I don't believe there are any

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, my first thought was that if x/n = pi then sin(x/n) is obviously going to be zero. I really can't get past that, I mean it seems like stating that and that if x/n is any multiple of pi then sin(x/n) will be zero. I guess I can't see past the obvious and into how this problem might actually be challenging.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are supposed to show that fn(x) goes to zero as n goes to infinity for *any* value of x between 0 and pi.

Oh. Well then. You can't use euler's because the function is real valued, correct? Or, can you expand it and just leave off the imaginary part?

I can't think of another way to show that this function is going to zero.

Well, as n goes to infinity, x/n goes to zero for all x on [0,pi] And sin(0)=0

If the sup norm ( sup |fn(x)-f(x)|, over x in X) goes to zero then f_n converges uniformly to f on X. This is biconditional.

I suspect you can also show this from the definition of uniform convergence.

Related to Convergence of sin(x/n) in A[0,pi]

1. What is the definition of convergence in mathematics?

Convergence in mathematics refers to the behavior of a sequence or function as its input approaches a certain value or limit. In other words, it is the tendency of a sequence or function to get closer and closer to a specific value as its input increases.

2. How is convergence of sin(x/n) in A[0,pi] determined?

The convergence of sin(x/n) in A[0,pi] is determined by evaluating the limit of the function as n approaches infinity. If the limit exists and is equal to a finite value, then the function is said to converge in the given interval.

3. What is the significance of A[0,pi] in the convergence of sin(x/n)?

A[0,pi] is the interval over which we are evaluating the convergence of sin(x/n). This interval is chosen because it contains the values of x for which the function behaves differently and is therefore a critical range for determining convergence.

4. Can convergence of sin(x/n) in A[0,pi] be proven using the epsilon-delta definition?

Yes, the convergence of sin(x/n) in A[0,pi] can be proven using the epsilon-delta definition. This involves showing that for any small positive number epsilon, there exists a corresponding positive number delta such that the absolute value of sin(x/n) - L is less than epsilon, where L is the limit of the function as n approaches infinity.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the convergence of sin(x/n) in A[0,pi]?

Understanding the convergence of sin(x/n) in A[0,pi] has a wide range of real-world applications. For example, it is used in signal processing, where analyzing the convergence of trigonometric functions can help in filtering out noise and extracting useful information from a signal. It is also used in physics, engineering, and finance for various calculations and predictions.