Convergence of Infinite Series

In summary: Good job!In summary, the conversation discusses using the Ratio Test to determine the convergence of the series \sum\frac{n!}{10^n}. The individual attempts and strategies used are mentioned, including using the comparison test and the limit comparison test. Finally, the person asks for confirmation on their solutions to several other similar problems.
americanforest
Question: Test for convergence:

[tex]\sum\frac{n!}{10^n}[/tex]

(the sum is from 1 to infinity)

I tried using

[tex]\frac{n^n}{10^n}\geq\frac{n!}{10^n}\geq\frac{n}{10^n}[/tex]

and showing that either the first one was convergent or the last one was divergent using various tests but didn't get anywhere.

Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the Ratio Test. That's what I first try to do anytime I see n!

Ratio Test:

[tex]\frac{(n+1)!}{10^{n+1}}\frac{10^n}{n!}=\frac{n+1}{10}[/tex]

Since that's more than 1 as n goes to infinity it diverges. Am I right?

I did a bunch of these. I need to get a good grade so I will just post them up here with my answers and if I got one wrong please just let me know to look over it again.

1. [tex]\sum\frac{1}{ln(n)}[/tex] (sum from 2 to inf.) diverges

b/c 1/ln(n)>1/n which diverges

2. [tex]\sum\frac{1}{2n(2n+1)}[/tex] converges

b/c 1/n^2 converges

3. [tex]\sum\frac{1}{(n(n+1))^{.5}}[/tex] diverges

b/c 1/n diverges and then limit comparison test to show this diverges too.

4. [tex]\sum\frac{1}{2n+1}[/tex] diverges

b/c 1/2n diverges and then limit comparison to show this diverges too.

I'd really appreciate it if somebody could check me on these. Thanks.

Those all look right to me

Related to Convergence of Infinite Series

1. What is the definition of convergence of an infinite series?

The convergence of an infinite series refers to the property where the sum of an infinite number of terms in the series approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

2. How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

To determine if an infinite series converges or diverges, one can use various tests such as the ratio test, root test, or comparison test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and comparing them to known convergent or divergent series.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to when the infinite series converges when the absolute values of the terms are considered. On the other hand, conditional convergence occurs when an infinite series converges, but when the absolute values of the terms are considered, the series diverges.

4. Can an infinite series converge to a negative value?

Yes, it is possible for an infinite series to converge to a negative value. This can occur when the terms in the series alternate between positive and negative values, resulting in a sum that approaches a negative value.

5. How is the convergence of an infinite series related to the limit of its terms?

The convergence of an infinite series is closely related to the limit of its terms. If the limit of the terms is not equal to zero, then the series will diverge. However, if the limit of the terms is equal to zero, it does not necessarily mean that the series will converge. Other tests, such as the ratio test, must be used to determine convergence in this case.