Convergence of an improper integral

In summary, the integral \int(from 0 to infinity) xre-x dx will converge for values of r less than or equal to 0.
NickMusicMan

Homework Statement

For what values of r does [tex]\int[/tex](from 0 to infinity) xre-x dx converge?

I assume that the problem refers to r as any real number.

2. The attempt at a solution

I have given this a try but I am really not confident that I did it right...

First i used integration by parts to try to discover a pattern:

[tex]\int[/tex]xre-xdx = -xre-x-[tex]\int[/tex]rxr-1(-e-x)dx

I won't write out the whole thing since I can't find all the appropriate summation/product symbols, but carrying out this exact integration by parts an infinite number of times gives:

-e-x(a polynomial in x with an infinite number of terms)

(Note: the polynomial will have a finite # of terms if r happens to be a natural number)

Now I know that the -e-x term will always go to zero as x gets larger.

So I consider the xr, xr-1, xr-2,... terms:

If r[tex]\leq[/tex]0, then those terms will all go to zero, but if r>0 then some of those terms will go to infinity.

From this I concluded that the integral converges iff r[tex]\leq[/tex] 0.

Does this solution make any sense? Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me out. I apologize if its not clear; I wrote it much more clearly (and in more detail) on paper but this is my first try at typing math on a computer so i couldn't figure out how to express some things.

-Nick

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, try a value like r=3 and you'll find that the integral converges for at least some r>0.

[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}x^re^{-x}=0 [/tex] for all real r

So, the problem is convergence at 0.

Related to Convergence of an improper integral

What is convergence of an improper integral?

Convergence of an improper integral refers to the behavior of an integral as the limits of integration approach infinity or a point of discontinuity. A convergent integral has a finite value, while a divergent integral has an infinite value or does not exist.

How do you determine if an improper integral is convergent or divergent?

To determine if an improper integral is convergent or divergent, you can use the limit comparison test, comparison test, or the integral test. These tests compare the given integral to a known convergent or divergent integral to determine the behavior of the given integral.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence means that the integral converges regardless of the order of integration, while conditional convergence means that the integral only converges if the order of integration is specific. In other words, absolute convergence is more strict than conditional convergence.

Can an improper integral have both finite and infinite values?

Yes, an improper integral can have both finite and infinite values. This occurs when the integral is broken into multiple parts, where some parts converge to a finite value and others diverge to infinity. In this case, the overall integral would be considered divergent.

What is the significance of the convergence of an improper integral?

The convergence of an improper integral is important in determining the existence of a solution to a problem. It also helps in evaluating the behavior of a function near points of discontinuity and in analyzing the convergence of infinite series.