Convergence of a sum for which x?

In summary, the conversation discusses the infinite series (1/n) * (xn) where x is a real number and explores the values of x for which the series converges, converges absolutely, diverges to + infinity, and does not converge. The ratio test is used to determine that the series converges for |x|<1 and diverges for |x|>1, with the only points of concern being x=1 and x=-1. It is concluded that the series diverges at x=1 and converges at x=-1 due to it being an alternating series where 1/n goes to 0.
stukbv

Homework Statement

Consider the infinite series (1/n) * (xn) where x is a real noumber. Find all numbers x such that
i) the series converges,
ii) series converges absolutely
iii) diverges to + infinity
iiii) does not converge.

2. The attempt at a solution
For this, i know it does not converge for x = 1 and for x<-1 , and it does converge absolutely for x = -1, i also know it will diverge to [tex]\infty[/tex] for x>1 but i am very unsure as to what happens for x between 1 and - 1 ?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the ratio test tell you?

Ok, I see, so now i have that it converges for |x|<1 and the same for absolute convergence.
It does not converge at x=1 , x=-1 pr x<-1
and it diverges to infinity for x>1.
It this closer?

stukbv said:
Ok, I see, so now i have that it converges for |x|<1 and the same for absolute convergence.
It does not converge at x=1 , x=-1 pr x<-1
and it diverges to infinity for x>1.
It this closer?

Closer. It converges for |x|<1 and diverges for |x|>1. The only points you have to worry about are x=1 and x=(-1). I'll agree it diverges at x=1. Can you say why? I don't agree that it diverges at x=(-1).

For x= -1, this is an alternating series and 1/n goes to 0.

Oh yes, of course!
Thanks!

Related to Convergence of a sum for which x?

What is the definition of convergence for a sum?

Convergence refers to the property of a sum, where the terms of the sum approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. In other words, as more terms are added, the sum gets closer and closer to a fixed number.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence occurs when the sum of the absolute values of the terms converges, while conditional convergence occurs when the sum of the terms themselves converges. In other words, absolute convergence guarantees convergence of the sum, while conditional convergence does not.

How can I determine if a sum is convergent?

There are various tests that can be used to determine if a sum is convergent, such as the comparison test, ratio test, and root test. These tests involve comparing the given sum to a known convergent or divergent series.

What is the significance of the convergence of a sum?

The convergence of a sum is important in mathematical analysis and various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to approximate infinite series with a finite number of terms, making calculations and predictions more feasible.

What should I do if a sum does not converge?

If a sum does not converge, it is said to be divergent. In this case, it is important to determine if the terms of the sum are approaching infinity or oscillating. Further analysis may be needed to determine the behavior of the sum and if it can be approximated in any way.