Controlling motor speed digitally

In summary, the conversation revolved around the issue of finding a device that can regulate the resistance across 9.7v at 100KOhms in order to control the motor speed from a program. Various solutions were suggested, such as using digital pots or a current-output DAC. The idea of implementing PWM in software using an Arduino was also discussed. Ultimately, the conversation resulted in the recommendation to use a PWM controller with a suitable H-Bridge driver to control the motor speed and direction.
kolleamm
I'm trying to turn my milling machine into a CNC so I bought this motor driver on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-40A-DC-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The only problem is I can't seem to find any device that can regulate the resistance across 9.7v at 100KOhms which would allow me to control the motor speed from my program. I was recommended to use digital pots but after a long search most are only capable of handling 5v.

Any ideas on how I can solve this? I just want to be able to control the motor speed from my pc.

The motors I'm using run at 48v (continuous 5.8A, peak 30A)

Engineering news on Phys.org
It seems like a current-output DAC would be a good fit for your application. What kind of external interface devices have you used with your PC programs? Would you need a USB dongle that can do this, or can you build your own interface circuit based on a few ICs?

kolleamm said:
I'm trying to turn my milling machine into a CNC so I bought this motor driver on ebay.
How do you sense the position of the x, y and z axes ?
Do you have a tacho on the motors ?
What are the input specifications to the PWM controller, is it a fixed range voltage input such as ±5 V ?

The program will be run by an Arduino, at least that's what I believe so far.

The milling machine has encoders for each axis so we can read the position through those.

I'm not real sure what the specifications are of the controller, I just know that a pot adjusts the speed.
The voltage across the power and ground slots for the pot seems to be 9.7v.

I had another idea where I could use a mofset transistor to control the speed, instead of this board but it seems I would also need a diode to prevent a voltage spike in the transistor when it turns off, and I have yet to find one that can handle up to 30A at 48v.

There are drivers that are more directly compatible with Arduino - considering the libraries for the control I would still steer you that direction.

To continue with this controller what is the Range of the Pot?.

Is the Pot on/off AND the speed control, and then the rocker sw is the directional control?

Windadct said:
There are drivers that are more directly compatible with Arduino - considering the libraries for the control I would still steer you that direction.

To continue with this controller what is the Range of the Pot?.

Is the Pot on/off AND the speed control, and then the rocker sw is the directional control?
The pot has a max voltage of about 9.7v and has a 100k resistance.
When turned beyond a certain point it clicks and turns off the motor.
Yes, the rocker switch has three different positions : the two different directions and off.

If you disconnect the cables from the pot you can speed up the motor by touching the positive and signal together, and slow it down by touching the positive and ground wire.

Your link sent me directly to the solution - a P(ulse) W(idth) M(odulation) controller.

Svein said:
Your link sent me directly to the solution - a P(ulse) W(idth) M(odulation) controller.
Yes but the goal is to control the speed from my software, these controllers all seem to have pots as a way of changing the speed.

You can implement a PWM in software though. Turn an output ON at regular intervals, turn it OFF at an interval proportional to the wanted speed.

Svein said:
You can implement a PWM in software though. Turn an output ON at regular intervals, turn it OFF at an interval proportional to the wanted speed.

With or without the driver board? And PWM on the motor leads or the pot?

Apologies if you already know this but here's my 2p.

An Arduino has pwm outputs on pins 3, 5, 6, 9, 10 and 11.
You could use a pot connected between 5V and ground from the Arduino with the wiper connected to an analogue input pin (A0 to A5 but stay away from A4 and A5 unless you really have to use them) which can be read using analogRead.
The pot will return a value of 0 to 1023 depending on position of the wiper. Use the map function to convert it to the 0 to 255 which the Arduino needs.
AnalogWrite this value to one of the pwm pins and you have your pwm signal for use with a suitable H-Bridge driver to control your motor speed and direction.

kolleamm said:
With or without the driver board? And PWM on the motor leads or the pot?
You have already gotten a better answer than I was going to give (I have never used an Arduino and did not know about the PWM outputs).

Related to Controlling motor speed digitally

1. What is digital motor speed control?

Digital motor speed control is the process of regulating the speed of a motor using digital signals and electronic circuits, rather than traditional mechanical methods. This allows for more precise and accurate control of the motor's speed.

2. How does digital motor speed control work?

Digital motor speed control works by using a microcontroller or other digital device to generate a series of pulses that are sent to the motor. These pulses control the amount of power supplied to the motor, which in turn determines the speed of the motor.

3. What are the advantages of digital motor speed control?

The main advantage of digital motor speed control is its precision and accuracy. It allows for fine-tuning of the motor's speed, which is especially useful in applications where precise control is necessary. Digital control also eliminates the wear and tear associated with mechanical speed control methods.

4. What types of motors can be controlled digitally?

Most types of motors can be controlled digitally, including DC motors, AC motors, and stepper motors. However, the specific control method and circuitry may vary depending on the type of motor being used.

5. Are there any limitations to digital motor speed control?

One limitation of digital motor speed control is that it requires a power source, such as a battery or power supply, to operate. Additionally, the motor must be compatible with the control circuitry and may require additional components for proper control. In some cases, the cost of implementing digital control may also be a limitation.