Contour Integration: Calculating Residues and Solving Integrals

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the residue using contour integration for the function 1/(1+z^4) with a singularity at e^{i\pi/4}. The solution involved parametrizing C_{\rho}, simplifying the algebra, and using the formula for calculating the residue. The final answer was -e^{i\pi/4}/4.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
[SOLVED] contour integration

Homework Statement

I'm really rusty with this. I need to calculate

[tex]2\pi i Res\left(\frac{1}{1+z^4},e^{i\pi/4}\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well,

[tex]2\pi iRes\left(\frac{1}{1+z^4},e^{i\pi/4}\right)=\int_{C_{\rho}}\frac{1}{1+z^4}dz[/tex]

where [tex]C_{\rho}[/tex] is a little circle of radius rho centered on [tex]e^{i\pi/4}[/tex], on which there are no singularities. Fine, so let's take [tex]\rho=1/\sqrt{2}[/tex].

Now I need to parametrize C_rho. Take

[tex]\gamma(t)=e^{i\pi/4}+\frac{e^{i2\pi t}}{\sqrt{2}} \ , \ \ \ \ 0\leq t < 1[/tex]

We have

[tex]\frac{d\gamma}{dt}=i\sqrt{2}\pi e^{i2\pi t}[/tex]

So that

[tex]\int_{C_{\rho}}\frac{1}{1+z^4}dz=\int_0^1\frac{i\sqrt{2}\pi e^{i2\pi t}}{1+(e^{i\pi/4}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}e^{i2\pi t})^4}dt[/tex]

Now what??

I believe the answer is supposed to be [tex]-e^{i\pi/4}/4[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you just calculate the residue directly?

Refresh my memory please? :smile:

The singularity at [tex]e^{\frac{{i\pi }}{4}} [/tex] is a simple pole and the numerator of the integrand is non zero and holomorphic at the singularity. So you can calculate the residue by using the formula

[tex]
{\mathop{\rm Re}\nolimits} s\left( {\frac{1}{{z^{^4 } + 1}}} \right) = \frac{{1_{z = z_0 } }}{{\frac{d}{{dx}}\left( {z^4 + 1} \right)}}_{z = z_0 } ,z_0 = e^{\frac{{i\pi }}{4}}
[/tex]

In the calculation you can simplify the algebra a little by using [tex]z_0 ^4 = - 1[/tex].

The result should coincide with the answer that you expected to get as indicated in your original post.

Last edited:
Nice, thank you so much.

Related to Contour Integration: Calculating Residues and Solving Integrals

1. What is contour integration?

Contour integration is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals of complex-valued functions over complex domains. It involves integrating a function along a closed curve in the complex plane, also known as a contour.

2. Why is contour integration useful?

Contour integration allows us to evaluate complex integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It is particularly useful in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve complex analysis.

3. How is contour integration different from regular integration?

While regular integration deals with real-valued functions over real intervals, contour integration deals with complex-valued functions over complex domains. Additionally, contour integration involves integrating along a curve rather than over a single interval.

4. What are some applications of contour integration?

Contour integration has a wide range of applications, including solving differential equations, finding areas and volumes of complex shapes, and calculating probabilities in statistics and physics. It is also used in signal processing, control theory, and image processing.

5. Are there different types of contour integration?

Yes, there are several different types of contour integration, including the Cauchy integral theorem, Cauchy's integral formula, and the residue theorem. These methods differ in their approaches and can be used for different types of integrals and functions.