Constructing an interval by uniting smaller intervals

In summary, Bacle2 is trying to show that 2 is not in the interval C by proving that the infimum and minimum is 0, the supremum is 2, and that 2-1/2n does not converge to 2.
Whistlekins

Homework Statement

We have [itex]C_n = [1-\frac{1}{n},2-\frac{1}{2n}] [/itex] and [itex]C = C_1 \cup C_2 \cup C_3 \cup ...[/itex] and are asked to describe the interval C and then prove that it is actually what we say it is.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am guessing that [itex] C = [0,2) [/itex] and to prove this, I need to show that the infimum and minimum is 0, supremum is 2, maximum does not exist.

Am I right in describing this interval? And what other features of this interval would I need to prove in order to prove my description is valid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think 2 is not included in the interval? What is the limit of 2-(1/2n)? If 2 is not included,

in C, can 2- 1/2n converge to 2?

Bacle2 said:
Why do you think 2 is not included in the interval? What is the limit of 2-(1/2n)? If 2 is not included,

in C, can 2- 1/2n converge to 2?

I don't really understand what you mean. 2 cannot be in C because 2-1/2n -> 2 as n -> ∞, so C_n = (1,2) as n -> ∞, wouldn't it?

Whistlekins said:
I don't really understand what you mean. 2 cannot be in C because 2-1/2n -> 2 as n -> ∞, so C_n = (1,2) as n -> ∞, wouldn't it?
I doubt that Bacle2 is saying that 2 is in interval C. He's just asking how to prove that you can have both
2 is not in C.

and

##\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty}(2-1/(2n))=2 ## ?​

SammyS said:
I doubt that Bacle2 is saying that 2 is in interval C. He's just asking how to prove that you can have both
2 is not in C.

and

##\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty}(2-1/(2n))=2 ## ?​

Well, now I have no idea.

How else could I show that 2 is not in C? Unless 2 IS in C...

If I make [itex]A[/itex] the set of all maxima of all [itex] C_n = \{ 2-\frac{1}{2n}\}[/itex] for all natural numbers n,

Then the maximum of this set [itex]A[/itex] does not exist since it is infinite. However the least upper bound would be the limit = 2. Am I correct in thinking this?

Then sup(C) = sup(A) = 2. Is this reasoning correct?

Sorry if my statement was not clear. What I meant was that if 2 were included in the union, then it would be in some of the intervals, by def. of union. Then, re this last, the issue of convergence ,and (2-1/2n) being strictly increasing, come into play.

Last edited:

Related to Constructing an interval by uniting smaller intervals

1. What is the purpose of constructing an interval by uniting smaller intervals?

The purpose of constructing an interval by uniting smaller intervals is to create a larger interval that encompasses all of the smaller intervals within it. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating probabilities, determining ranges of values, and defining boundaries.

2. How do you construct an interval by uniting smaller intervals?

To construct an interval by uniting smaller intervals, you simply need to identify the smallest and largest values from all of the smaller intervals and use them as the endpoints of the larger interval. For example, if you have the intervals [1,3], [5,8], and [10,12], the constructed interval would be [1,12].

3. Can intervals that do not overlap be united to create a larger interval?

No, intervals that do not overlap cannot be united to create a larger interval. When constructing an interval by uniting smaller intervals, it is necessary for there to be at least one value that is shared between the smaller intervals in order for them to be united into a larger interval.

4. Is the constructed interval inclusive or exclusive?

The constructed interval can be either inclusive or exclusive, depending on the endpoints of the smaller intervals. If the endpoints are inclusive (i.e. [1,3]), then the constructed interval will also be inclusive. If the endpoints are exclusive (i.e. (1,3)), then the constructed interval will also be exclusive.

5. Are there any limitations to constructing an interval by uniting smaller intervals?

Yes, there are limitations to constructing an interval by uniting smaller intervals. For example, if the smaller intervals are infinite (i.e. (-∞,0) and (0,∞)), it is not possible to construct a larger interval that encompasses both of them. Additionally, the smaller intervals must be one-dimensional (i.e. intervals on a number line) in order to be united into a larger interval.