Considering Physics graduate school, but I stutter

In summary, the conversation discusses the options for funding graduate school, particularly for a student with a stutter. It is mentioned that TA positions may not be suitable for someone with a stutter, but it is suggested that there may be opportunities for grading only assignments. The individual with the stutter is encouraged to apply for graduate school and to discuss their needs with the disability office if accepted. It is also mentioned that there are successful professors with stutters and that it is unlikely for funding to be denied due to a disability. Various suggestions for alternative roles in a lab setting are also given. The individual expresses concerns about their stutter affecting their ability to teach, but others in the conversation believe that many people prefer to teach and there are ways to work around a stutter
prasa043
Long time lurker here, this is just my first time posting.

I've read through the 'So you want to be a Physicist' guide and just from experience I've noticed that in order to help pay for graduate schools most programs will have you TA for discussions or labs. Given my stutter, I know I wouldn't be able to TA a discussion effectively. That would simply lead to an undue amount of stress for me and the students wouldn't be learning as much. 'So you want to be a Physicist' mentioned that the other major funding is from an RA position, but these apparently won't be offered to first year graduate students. Assuming I can't/am not willing to pay for graduate school out of pocket, is my only option applying to as many fellowships as possible and crossing my fingers?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might be able to be just a grader only for your TA. I had that assignment for a term or two, I only graded and did no teaching. I prefer to stand up in front of a class and most do, so a grading only assignment might be possible to get (since others won't want it).

I suggest just applying anyway, forget the stutter. Then when you get accepted hit up the disability office and request something like a grading only position.

I used to stutter, and years of speech therapy enabled me to overcome this. I know of one very senior professor who has a pronounced stutter; he's earned tenure at two places, and has 3 dozen papers with more than 100 cites. I would not count myself out just yet.

It's highly unlikely that one would be denied funding due to a disability.

As ModusPwned pointed out there is a good chance you could end up with a grading assignment. Further, since I don't know the severity of your stutter, it's worth keeping in mind you don't actually have to do a lot of talking to lead a lab. You could, for example, write out instructions and then help the students out on a one on one basis. Or you could be that cool TA that texts the students while in the lab. Another possibility is a position revamping the experiments, developing new ones, setting up equipment, etc.

I'm sure there's a way around it. Don't let this keep you from applying to graduate school.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Vanadium 50 said:
I used to stutter, and years of speech therapy enabled me to overcome this. I know of one very senior professor who has a pronounced stutter; he's earned tenure at two places, and has 3 dozen papers with more than 100 cites. I would not count myself out just yet.

It's not that I don't think I could succeed at Physics because of my stutter, but I'm just concerned that if I have to TA a discussion I'd be unduly stressed about that on top of all the other stressful things that would be going on in graduate school. Kind off of topic, but what therapy? Was in one of those weeklong intensive programs?

Choppy said:
It's highly unlikely that one would be denied funding due to a disability.

As ModusPwned pointed out there is a good chance you could end up with a grading assignment. Further, since I don't know the severity of your stutter, it's worth keeping in mind you don't actually have to do a lot of talking to lead a lab. You could, for example, write out instructions and then help the students out on a one on one basis. Or you could be that cool TA that texts the students while in the lab. Another possibility is a position revamping the experiments, developing new ones, setting up equipment, etc.

I'm sure there's a way around it. Don't let this keep you from applying to graduate school.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. When would I bring this up? Before I get accepted? Or after?

ModusPwnd said:
You might be able to be just a grader only for your TA. I had that assignment for a term or two, I only graded and did no teaching. I prefer to stand up in front of a class and most do, so a grading only assignment might be possible to get (since others won't want it).

I suggest just applying anyway, forget the stutter. Then when you get accepted hit up the disability office and request something like a grading only position.

Do most people really prefer to do the teaching part? I guess from my perspective it would be hard to imagine anyone wanting to do that. I just don't want to be a liability, I guess.

Related to Considering Physics graduate school, but I stutter

1. What are the challenges of pursuing a Physics graduate degree with a stutter?

One of the main challenges is the fast paced and rigorous communication required in graduate level Physics courses and research. Stuttering can make it difficult to participate in class discussions, present research findings, and communicate with colleagues.

2. Will my stutter hinder my ability to succeed in Physics graduate school?

While stuttering may present challenges, it does not determine one's ability to succeed. Many successful scientists have overcome stuttering and have made significant contributions to the field of Physics.

3. Are there resources available to support students with stutters in Physics graduate school?

Yes, many universities have resources such as speech therapy services and support groups for students with communication disorders. Additionally, professors and advisors can work with students to find accommodations and strategies to help with communication difficulties.

4. Should I mention my stutter in my graduate school application?

This is a personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer. Some students choose to mention their stutter as part of their personal statement or in a separate essay, while others do not. It ultimately depends on how comfortable you feel sharing this information and if you believe it will add to your application.

5. How can I overcome my stutter and succeed in Physics graduate school?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution, as stuttering can vary greatly from person to person. However, seeking support and utilizing resources such as speech therapy and accommodations can greatly help in managing stuttering and improving communication skills. It is also important to remember that stuttering does not define your intelligence or potential for success.