Connections with Prime numbers and Quantum Physics?

In summary: This cannot be correct, because the parentheses are required to make the expression an equation.In the second line, you have 2/1 = 2. This is also incorrect, because division by zero produces an undefined result.
HawkI
Hello I'm hard at work trying to find a pattern for the prime numbers and this keeps cropping up. To be honest though, to me it comes across like pseudo science. I mean I never really hear people talk about it. This seems an obvious thing to look into but I don't know anyone who does.

Prime numbers are fundamental to the fundamental of arithmetic. That's why I'm so avidly going after this.

Physics news on Phys.org
We are back online, after some discussion and research we found some more credible references for this notion of a connection between QM and Prime Numbers.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/maths/research/highlights/riemann-hypothesis/

While not peer reviewed the Bristol link does show that mathematicians are seriously looking at this area of study in the hopes of proving the Riemann Hypothesis using QM mathematical methods after having noticed similarities in the two systems of thought.

Some other references I found are a talk given by Prof. Henrik J. Jensen, Department of Mathematics, Imperial College London.

http://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/~hjjens/Riemann_talk.pdf

this Scientific American article on Quantum Chaos and Prime Numbers:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/quantum-chaos-subatomic-worlds/

and lastly this one from the American Mathematical Society:

http://www.ams.org/samplings/math-history/prime-chaos.pdf

So enjoy all the reading material and post your comments below.

Last edited:
Likes S.G. Janssens and berkeman
jedishrfu said:
using QM mathematical methods
That is the important point, I think.

Mathematics developed for quantum mechanics can be useful to study the Riemann hypothesis. It is common that parts of one branch of mathematics help in other branches.

Likes jedishrfu
My attempt to find a pattern for prime numbers has led me on to a series of fractions. So Riemann Hypothesis (Quantum Energy Levels) and Quantum Chaos mmmmmmm. I haven't heard about Quantum Chaos before. Hopefully I will be able to find the series of fractions somewhere. I tried on OEIS but it didn't find anything. This is the start of the pattern it uses Pronic numbers.

1 * 3 = 3 - 2 * 2 = -1 / 1 * 2 = -0.5

2/1 = 2 -1/2 = -0.5
3/2 = 1.5

How are you doing your research via guesswork like treating the prime number list as a sequence and then trying to find an equation that generates them? Or are you approaching it in some other more esoteric manner?

My approach has been the hobbyist with a big computer approach only my computer's not so big and I'm not spending a lot of time on it.

I need to make it clear that this thread is for discussion of the relationship of prime numbers to QM. Here at PF, we don't discuss personal theories (my theory of generating prime numbers) or speculative science (how does prime numbers affect QM and what does it mean).

A key point of discussion is that the use of QM mathematical methods does not imply that there's some mysterious connection with prime numbers only that QM energy levels mathematical model may have some bearing on solving the Riemann hypothesis ie is there an isomorphism here that may help proof Riemann's conjecture definitively.

So if there's nothing more to talk about here then I guess we can close the thread.

Last edited:
HawkI said:
My attempt to find a pattern for prime numbers has led me on to a series of fractions. So Riemann Hypothesis (Quantum Energy Levels) and Quantum Chaos mmmmmmm. I haven't heard about Quantum Chaos before. Hopefully I will be able to find the series of fractions somewhere. I tried on OEIS but it didn't find anything. This is the start of the pattern it uses Pronic numbers.

?
This makes no sense at all.
1 * 3 = 3
3 - 2 * 2 = 3 - 4 = -1
-1/1 * 2 = -2
None of these expressions is equal to any of the others, so connecting them with = is not appropriate.
What are you trying to do here?
HawkI said:
2/1 = 2 -1/2 = -0.5
3/2 = 1.5

Oh my gosh yes pull the plug! Abort! Abandon Ship! Mayday Mayday! ha ha. I was seeking clarity on this topic, hoping it was real and it is, I learned a lot, Attention has been raised to this. People are wiser now. You all have helped, we've enlightened maybe some people who didn't know about about this.

Mark44 it works by adding -0.5 to 2. And so on, it uses Irrational Rotation as well as Pronics as well as Fourier Series as well as Integrals.

HawkI said:

2/1 = 2 -1/2 = -0.5
3/2 = 1.5

HawkI said:
Mark44 it works by adding -0.5 to 2.
How it works and what you wrote are two entirely different things.
As written, the first two lines above are nonsense.

In the first line, you have 1 * 3 = 3 - 2 * 2, which is not true, since the left side is 3 and the right side is -1, and 3 ≠ - 1. Continuing, you're saying that -1 equals -1/1 * 2, which is equal to -2, according to the usual order of operations. If you meant -1 divided by the product 1 * 2, you should have included parentheses, as -1 / (1 * 2). In summary you have four expressions, none of which equals any of the others, but all connected with =.

In the second line you have 2/1 = 2 - 1/2, which is saying that 2 is equal to 3/2 (or 1.5) -- not true. You then say that 3/2 is equal to -.5, again not true.

HawkI said:
And so on, it uses Irrational Rotation as well as Pronics as well as Fourier Series as well as Integrals.
What you wrote doesn't indicate that any of these is being used.

Well I must be a terrible teacher and explainer, that's good to know. I'm sorry I vexed you, I can assure you it works, I've been looking into it for at least a month now. This will be clearer, I don't want to get into trouble so I will leave you with this.

Prime | Fourier Series | Ordinal Numbers | Irrational Rotation | Pronic | Integral
2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,-1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,-0.5

HawkI said:
Well I must be a terrible teacher and explainer, that's good to know. I'm sorry I vexed you, I can assure you it works, I've been looking into it for at least a month now. This will be clearer, I don't want to get into trouble so I will leave you with this.

Prime | Fourier Series | Ordinal Numbers | Irrational Rotation | Pronic | Integral
2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,-1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,-0.5
?
I get that 2 is a prime, but what does 2 (the second entry you show) have to do with Fourier Series? Same for the columns for Ordinal Numbers, Irrat. Rotation, Pronic, and Integral.
Without any further explanation, this is just gibberish.

Likes jedishrfu and mfb
Since the discussion topic of this thread has been exhausted and we are starting to venture off topic into personal theories, I going to close it now.

Thanks for your participation.

Jedi

Related to Connections with Prime numbers and Quantum Physics?

1. How are prime numbers connected to quantum physics?

Prime numbers are a crucial component in the field of quantum physics, specifically in the study of quantum computing. This is because prime numbers are used in the design of quantum algorithms and also play a role in the security of quantum cryptography.

2. Can prime numbers be used to improve quantum computing?

Yes, prime numbers are used in the design of quantum algorithms, which are more efficient and powerful than classical algorithms. This is because quantum computers can utilize the unique properties of prime numbers, such as their ability to be in multiple states simultaneously, to solve complex problems more quickly.

3. How do prime numbers relate to the Riemann Hypothesis?

The Riemann Hypothesis, one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics, is closely connected to prime numbers. It states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the critical line, with a real part of 1/2. Prime numbers play a crucial role in this hypothesis as they are used in the formulation of the zeta function.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the connection between prime numbers and quantum physics?

Yes, there are several real-world applications that utilize the connection between prime numbers and quantum physics. These include quantum cryptography, which uses the unique properties of prime numbers to secure communication, and quantum key distribution, which uses prime numbers to create unbreakable encryption keys.

5. How do prime numbers contribute to the security of quantum communication?

Prime numbers are used in the process of quantum key distribution, which is a method of creating and sharing encryption keys that are virtually unbreakable. This is because prime numbers have the property of being difficult to factor into their component primes, making them ideal for use in encryption.